Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Went and picked up a few 1125's...w/pics

dbcbtc00,
    Do you have an 09'R in white?
    I just bought a 09' red CR for the street and want an R to race. I want to swap the red plastics for the white ones on the CR :)

Yeah, that was cool meeting up with you too Millenium. I am glad that your suspension is working out. It takes a little more to dial these 1125's than the xb's it seems. Maybe the suspension just needs to "break in" some. Thanks for compliments on my 9. I try to keep it clean, maybe next time I see out in the twisties I will be on it. I still really like riding it as it is just different than most. Ride safe.

PS...did you get 93redstang's PM about that red lightning at cycle connection?

Yeah, he and I traded a few messages. Give David Anderson (my neighbor) a call at CC. He had two of those when we spoke last week, but has since sold one as of last Friday. I was out the M/U/A way yesterday too - Loving the 1125!

Mike

Hello everyone, my first post here. I'm a card carrying Ducatista and regional President of the Ducati Owners Group of Sacramento.

I heard about the rebate program and that drew my attention to the 1125 models. Right away I preferred the CR since I've always liked the streetfighter/naked look. Did my research then started calling dealers in 4 western states. Found what I wanted in Reno, Nevada so I towed my trailer up there to make a deal. However, I noticed the bikes had the lower handlebars, I thought the 2010s had the raised bars stock. Well, they didn't have any 2010 models, only 09s. One of which had the raised bar option so it was at that point I told the guy I was going back home. He asked me would I stick around if they could make it right and I agreed. They came back to me with a good number so I bought the bike, a black one.

Since then I've been riding it alot and growing more and more attached to it. I had some issues getting the suspension dialed in, but once I read the recommended settings in Sport Rider magazine, all was terrific. The bike is awesome, really raw with good power. I have two Ducatis in my garage, a 999R and Multistrada. The CR is just a different bike, an excellent one at that. If there were no CRs left I would have passed on buying the Buell since I don't like the looks of the R model. I think if there was a flaw in their sales strategy it was their design process, it was different and at the same time polarizing. It may satisfy a minority of riders maybe looking for an edgy ride, but the buying sportbike crowd are looking for specific styling keys and the R model and for that matter other Buell models failed to gain traction with the buying public. I don't have anything to do with that, I'm just reporting what people say about the Buell generally on the Ducati websites.

I think the 1125 series was a breakthrough product, however, too little too late. I love the Rotax motor and just about everything else about the motorcycle. I'm not happy with the fact there are limited upgrades available unlike the Ducati and other bikes. I think the exhaust system appearance is funky and needs a design overhaul. All I see available in the aftermarket is the single under pipe ending with a silencer near the rear tire. There has got to be something better than that. At this time I'm working with the owner and friend of a website business specializing in aftermarket parts for all kinds of sportbikes but mostly Ducati and MV Agusta. Since I bought my Buell, he is now interested in dedicating some website space for the Buell 1125R and CR and I'm anxious to help him source what is needed. I will be organizing group buys and one of my priorities will be the exhaust system. Another is carbon fiber bits, a very popular upgrade with Ducatis. My 999R is loaded with carbon fiber and I love the look of it. The Buell 1125 would also look awesome with selected carbon pieces and eliminating that fugly black exhaust blatter under the motor.

Another possibility is upgrading the bike with BST carbon fiber wheels. Apparently 3 or 4 rear wheels were made as prototypes yet the design engineering was not done yet on the front wheel. Its likely nothing will be done because of recent developments. However, there is a way but the main obstacle is the single rotor and caliper set up employed now. Its going to take retrofitting a dual caliper/rotor wheel with the correct spacers and bearings in order to have a BST front wheel to finish the pair.

These ideas are just being tossed around, but can you imagine your 1125R or CR equipped with a set of BST carbon wheels? Can you say woody?

In between all the other stuff going on and my return to work because I couldn't afford my medical premiums, I have less time to devote to this project. However, it is my personal priority and I'm determined to see it through and find out what we can do with it.

Are there any more Buell websites, blogs and places where I can go to learn more about the brand?

Incidently, the first night I had my CR I promptly broke out my rotary buffer, foam buffs and some Meguiars products and went after cleaning up the paint surfaces. I knew it looked and felt different, but that didn't deter me until I noticed some cloudiness forming. I reversed course and went to the least agressive foams and products and fortunately pulled all the cloudiness out with excellent results. I checked later in the owners manual and then discovered Buell strongly recommends against using the high speed buffer on the unique paint/panel process they use on their bikes. No worry, I have my own system now and the paint is flawless. I've learned to really like the material they use and it is very resistant to every day contact stratches. I'll be putting this to the test when I'll be co-hosting a "bike care" workshop with personel from Meguiars in December. The car care product business has been my occupation for the past 25 years, the last 14 as the International Sales Mgr for a buffing pad manufacturer. Bottom line, I love bringing out the best in painted bike body panels and other parts. In fact I helped design buffing pads specific for the motorcycle industry and since I had to go back to work I have a couple more ideas that will make the job of buffing out motorcycles even easier.

Welcome and congrats on the CR. Best of luck with the aftermarket parts website, its great to see companies dedicating time and effort to Buell parts. I too love CF and would like to see more available for the CR/R.

As far as the BST wheels are concerned, (IMHO) having to switch to the dual rotor/caliper goes against the great engineering that Erik Buell created. But if its something that you want/like, more power to ya.

Also, the Buell (XB's and 1125's) "body panels" are color molded in plastics. They will look good forever with proper care.

There are lots of websites/forums for Buell's....just google it. Though this one is one of the best.

03Firebolt,

You bought those 5 at Longhorn HD in Grand Prairie? It looks like it.

I live about 5 miles from the place. By the time I found out about the rebates, I couldn't find one around here at all.

I had to drive to Memphis, TN to pick up my black one.

I wonder if they're willing to work on the four other Buells they have left? They have a Blast, two Ulysses' and a Lightning.

Kidder...yeah, that where we got them. We bought 7 and they ended selling like 32 of them within a few days. Too bad you didnt hear about it, they are great to deal with there. Go talk to Scott or Ritchey.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345