Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Harley Davidson Strategy. As I see it.

I have been reading this forum for some time now.
    As I wanted to buy a Buell for allready a long time.
    It simply fits all I want in a bike.
    - V-twin
    - Stand out from the rest
    - History
    - Sheer fun of driving

I do not need 100+ HP. I want to reach my visors with a smile!

So as most of you, I was surprised and shocked to see Erik's video.

I sat down and started thinking about what could have happened. And came up with my feeling about the Harley Davidson Strategy;

- Why is Buell not for sale? And what would be a possible buyer?
    If some other company would be allowed to buy Buell. Then it could only be an American based Company. This, and only this could keep the original Spirit of Buell alive.
    But I doubt Harley will keep supplying their Sportster engines to the competition.
    Also the Lightning has had it´s years. I doubt this model will resurrect.
    For the CR it could be a different story. But as it has a Rotax engine, I doubt HD will be happy with this either.

No, the XB is dead, period. Sorry to say.

And why did I say -IF- Buell would be for sale?
    Because I think it is shutdown instead of sold for a reason.

Harley is realizing that the market is flooded with Monsters, Shivers and Triumph´s. Not to mention the 4-in-lines from Japan and even Korea.
    It is the same thing as all the US car-industry is experiencing.

Even Harley realizes that the time of building large, fuel consuming bikes is getting a niche.
    So in order to compete with this, Harley will have to come up with an answer to this shift in the market.
    So I am sure that after this recession (which will end), HD will suddenly(suprise?) revive Erik Buell.
    They will let him present/create a new model.
    Small, sporty at a competitive pricing. And filling up the gap in their line of models.

So again I want to bet, that within a few years, Harley will suprise us all with a V-twin, high-spec, lightweight bike. With all the extra's as ABS, ride-by-wire, traction control and more.
    All this in a very agressive styled package.
    And I am sure that we will see several of Erik's patents in it.

And besides, who else then Erik could be the best marketing strategy for Harley? Just another step in this strategy was made last week.
    They just made Erik Buell a Legendary Motorcycle Engineer.
    And he has been connected to their Brand for many years.
    In fact, he is still working for them in the development department!

Remember, Harleys were and are sold mainly for their legendary name and not for the qualities or specifications of their products.

For making an all new bike they would need a new factory.
    Remember some months ago, when Buell planned for a new factory. It was all canceled for no real reason.
    But all the plans are allready there. In perspection of a new model.
    Why sell all this investment and value?
    I am sure they would rather keep it. To be able and create this future Buell model under the Legendary Harley Brand name.

It is all a well planned Marketing Strategy!

At this very moment I am waiting for a call for a special price on the last XB´s here in Europe.
    And YES, I WANT ONE!
    I definitely want a great bike, created by a Motorcycle Legend.

But let there be no doubt,

I want one with the original Legendary name on it!
    Fully made by hand, by a dedicated group of people who were ready to stand against the biggest competition.

And with another look at the video;
    Isn't Erik just thinking of saving the jobs and future of his loyal employees?
    And now even selling his brand name for them?
    Isn´t that the true spirit of a privately created company?

...I think they're going to try "sportier" HDs...

Look at this ugly little 1200.!.

I think the XR1200 is the best looking Sportster of the bunch because it's actually "sport" focused instead of trying to be a "baby-dyna" cruiser like the other XLs in the stable. The exhaust is a little... much. Other than that, it's what a Sportster SHOULD be (plus about 100+lbs of fat).

...makes a little less room for Buell.

Next you'll see something looking like the 1125!

Henri:

You make some very good points and a 'reasonable' forecast.

I'm uncomfortable with the idea that they're making his legend, etc. They just crushed his life's work and I don't believe that their relationship will recover from that. HD has been the only, but major, flaw to Buell. I'm sure he wished he'd never sold out.

If he has a the stomach for it - I hope he does - he'll restart with his own bike again, without the encumberences of harley engines and pitiful US sales and distribution support.

Putting the swamhi cap on, I imagine that we'll see a new buell motorcycle, probably rotax powered in 3-4 years. I can't wait.

You should get an XB for the interim, though. They're that good.

I'm not worried about support for our 'orphans'. I had Triumphs and Nortons long after those companies had folded and good support lasted 10-15 years after (and is still pretty good). Thinking about it, the support was probably better than H-D's while Buell was alive.

Buell is dead, Long live Buell!

Intresting that you mention an Erik Buell restart.
    I wonder since Harley bought the Buell brand would that stop im from using his own name again?

I would love to think that the intention is to continue building one or two of the top model lines with a harley name plate, but if that does happen it means Harley took (bought) controll of his company, accuired his technology, then completly **** on the little guy (Erik).
    This means that IF these machines do emerge once again but under the Harley flag I will refuse, as I do any Harley, to buy one.

On the other side if Erik does make a comeback somewhere else thats where my buisness will be.

I think if H-D comes out with a sportbike under thier name It would be an insult to Erik. I never cared for Harley anyway even thought I grew up with Knuckleheads and Shovels. Being in my late 20's and haveing alot of rideing buddys I think Harley just kill their link to the younger buyers.

On another note this just gives me another reason not to turn my 98 S3 into a chopper.

Erik is on their pay list.
    And he will allways be eager to build a better bike.

But it is difficult to see how he would be able to raise funds in these times.
    Also do not forget that he is not 18 anymore.

What about a Harley Davidson Pegasus 1125?

A HD sportbike would be a total failure. Think about it. The typical HD buyer has zero interest in sportbikes. The typical sportbike buyer has zero interest in HD. It's a lose-lose situation. The whole HD thing was a huge problem for Buell.

Now, the XR1200 I like. Almost sold my Buell to buy one. I won't do it now. **** HD. BUELL LIVES!

The only initial link between Buell and HD was the Sportster motor. But the Thunderstorm 1203 is more motor than the Sportster ever was. It took Buell to get it over 100HP.
    HD Dealers treated Buell more like a bastard step-child. tucked off in a corner. I believe Ray Price in Raleigh was among the few who showed dedication to the brand.
    With the news now that a buyer group is forming to buy Buell from HD, we could finally see an enthusiastic marketing plan and sales infrastructure.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast