Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Heated Hand Grips for an 09 XB12R

the heated grips come with new grips, removal of the stock grips is required. it also comes with a new right side switch housing that has the heated grip control in it. the hand guards in the pic. on the buell website are NOT included. the heated grips fit all '08 & up xb models (s,r,x) & 1125's (r&cr). hope this helps

so the grips do not come with the hand guards/deflectors?

I bought the heated hand grips for my 2010R and they work great!!. I also bought the wind deflectors and installed them as well. The only thing with the deflectors is that they hit the front ferring. (sp?) I use them on the highway as they are great for wind procection and they actually reduse the use of the heated grips, but they should be taken off in the city as the steering lock wont engage when they are installed.

Total installation time for both: about 2 hours

I've got an 07 Lightning, but I've had the grips sitting in a box (full kit) since March '11 timeframe because H-D wants $200 for the install. I know its just a set of added wires to the 08 system, but does anyone know, or have the schematics for, how the utility wiring is setup into the bike? Is it just tapped right off the battery like a tender line but with a proprietary plug on it?

Your bike requires running a new fused pair from the battery. Find someone with a damaged 08-10 wiring harness and buy the accessory plug from them(our just buy a new plug) The heated hand grips will then plu in like stock. Actual installation is really easy. All you'll have to drill is one hole for the left grip.

I'm thinking if the dealership can't get the plug p/n, I'll just run to autozone and repin a new connector. There are two accessory power connectors from the control box, and the instructions aren't very clear. I'm assuming since the lightning instructions only talk about connecting one of them, but both for the Uly, the second plug is for if you're running the GPS module or utility plug? Also, the package says 3.0amp possible drain from the grips, so I'm thinking a 3.0amp circuit breaker hotwired in line would work?

Does anyone know what circuit wire the accessory power line is tapped into? Trying to avoid just running a fuse protected line straight off the battery in case I forget I and leave the grips on with bike off.

Oh, btw, your HD dealership should be able to get the connector on order for you. Found out the harness is broken up in the parts book by connectors and terminals, so I put one on order from my HD with a few extra terminals for $9 after shipping and taxes. Cheaper than trying to find two mating connectors at the local auto parts store here at least.

Well, since I don't feel like buying the 08 repair manual to see just one schematic, I've got a better idea. Instead of using the power from the headlight circuit to power the grips, I'll be clever, and use the power from the headlight circuit to power a SPST relay to route battery power to the grips. That way, since the headlamps are off when the bike is off, the power from the battery will be shutoff as well to the grips, incase I do forget to turn them off.

There's probably an unused euro light plug on your bike that you could use to save the trouble, but no harm in doing the relay either.

Did a bit more looking. There is an open relay spot and an open fuse spot in the relay box, so I'm headed to the dealer to pickup the hard to find relay and terminals.. gonna make this s*** professional.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast