Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Heated Hand Grips for an 09 XB12R

Got my stuff on and ready. Copied the setup from the 08's so now it only works with the ignition on. Only thing I would warn against is the drill bit that comes with the kit is garbage. Would have been faster to bite the hole in the handle bar. Use a good titanium bit with WD-40 for a like butter experience. Also, take some time to mock up the left grip first and mark the position with a wax/grease pencil to ensure the grip meets flush with the left controls after drilling and installing self tapping screws. Mine's not too far off, but has a 1/16th ish gap that only the most anal will notice because I simply set the set screw of the adapter into the LH controls reference hole.

So does this setup have the grips themselves heat up, or is it something underneath them that heats up? If it is the grips, what happens when they wear out in a year or so and there are no more kits?

The grips heat up themselves. They were factory on Ulys, so you can stil get all of the parts for them including the grips individually. But expect to pay up the a$$ for the individual parts. $80 per grip.

I really thinking of trying these on my new bike
    http://www.pollyheaters.com/ph400.htm
    Tempted to try the single temp snow mobile there so cheap

Inactive
    why not buy a set of aftermarket jobs on fleabay? i buy them regularly for about $40 a set delivered. an easy evening to install and fun project. i've wired mine on uly and lightning into headlight main feed. they only draw 3-4 amps. regardless of your choice, it's tough to ride without them once you get used to the comfort they allow.

Inactive
    if you REALLY want to blow your wad and be extremely warm and comfy on those 45 degree and below days, buy an aerostich heated liner/vest. best investment i ever made for cold weather riding.

I've never heard a story of the Buell factory heated grips running out, and that's from Uly's doing 30k mileage. Its actually a heating element underneath the grip material, so you'd have to be stroking them like you're attaining ecstasy in order to "wear them out." As far as cheaper kits, I just wanted the Buell grips that are made for the bike.

I will give one warning that I didn't when I posted the completion. The drill bit included in the kit to make the holes in your left handle bar for the new self-tapping screws to hold on the left grip since they don't want to use adhesive... is garbage. Even oiled and pressed firmly, it merely etches the surface and never bites the bar's metal. get yourself a good set of titanium bits and save yourself a lot of unnecessary work.

Whats the part number?

"i buy them regularly for about $40 a set delivered".

lunaticfringe, do the ebay grips wear out that fast? just curious. i have been using my buell heated grips for 2yrs. now and they have little sign of wear, but they won't last forever. which kind do you get.

Have a 03 XBS and a 06 ULY. Want to put factory heated grips on both. Have a set on the way off here. What's the best way to wire one in the S? Tie into the headlight or what. Want it switched. Will it be too much for that circuit ?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast