Thread: Need advice - What performance upgrades and in what order?

Hey folks! I just bought a XB12Ss about a month ago. I love the torch but my 1000cc Yamaha FZ1 will smoke it due to the rapid acceleration of the Yamaha. I modded my FZ1 with performance upgrades like the Powercommander, fuel maps, race exhaust, etc. I got LOTS of great results. So, I'm doing the same thing here! I'm going to ask for your experience. What are the best performance upgrades to make in your opinion. ALso, what order should they be made?? Your help and experiences is apprecicated. :)

What year model is it?

Oh, sorry I forgot. Mine is a 2006 model with 3500 miles. The previous owner modded the muffler. I am not exactly how it was modded but, I can tell you there are exhaust pipes on both sides of the bike and when I look in either one of the exhaust pipes I can't see anything but hollow space. I don't know if the exhaust is modded or if the previous owner replaced the original with a race muffler.

Can you show us a pic?
    If it is a race pipe you can get a factory race tuned ecm, being pre 08 build, if it hasn't already got one, check if it has for race use only on the ecm under the seat above battery
    Get familiar with ecmspy
    The above guide points you in all the right directions

A picture won't show you anything. I did inspect the ECM and it didn't say for race use only. I THINK I was looking at the ECM. It had 2 large multi-wire plugs on it.

I looked very closely at the muffler. It had a large rectangular hole cut out and then welded back in place. Its a nice job. Welds are ground down and it repainted. Had to look very closely to see where the work was done. So, it's not a "race pipe". It appears to have been hollowed out. It's pretty darn loud!

The previous owner modded the muffler. I am not exactly how it was modded but, I can tell you there are exhaust pipes on both sides of the bike and when I look in either one of the exhaust pipes I can't see anything but hollow space. I don't know if the exhaust is modded or if the previous owner replaced the original with a race muffler
    I'd find out exactly whats been done to the exhaust and ecm from the previous owner

If the pipe has been modded without ecm mods all your getting is alot of noise no performance

It sounds like a voodoo or spec ops pipe. Both are really good exhausts.

+1 to ECMspy

Yeah show us a picture of the pipe. We'll most likely be able to tell what it is.

Doesn't sound like a voodoo or spec ops with the twin outlets..... a pic will show if its a butchered stock pipe or other