Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do it yourself rear fender elimination.

Has anyone out there removed there own rear fender without buying one of those expensive kits? What solution did you use for the turn signals? Where did you cut the fender @?

FYI: 06 XB12S:D

Plan on doing mine this winter. Have seen several and no two are exactly the same.

Thanks His and Hers'! What Im looking for is someone that has done it and maybe some "Make sure you dont..."'s and "I wish I would have...."s. Just mainly to learn what people did to end up with a good result and maybe some things to watch out for--Do you have any freinds that might have done this? Could they offer any experiences?:)

Wish I could offer some more specific advice. None of my freinds even own a Buell. I will probably pick up a spare on ebay just in case I screw up. They usually go for around $75-100 when they are on there.

I will probably pick up a spare on ebay just in case I screw up. They usually go for around $75-100 when they are on there.
    if you mess it up, i'll send you mine for 75$ + transport ;)

Thanks everyone! I just took my lightning to the HD dealership to have the front brake switch replaced (under Warranty) and I talked to the guy @ the service desk who is an absolute Buell fanatic. He had the first one in Nebraska (Omaha is where I live) and has since totaled 2 of them and keeps buying them-- He has done about 5 or 6 of these Do it yourself tail mods and he said that anyone with even just a little bit of technical aptitude could do one of these easily. Ive seen 1 of the XB9S's he did and it looks very clean! What they did was use a hack saw to get the shape right (aluminum cuts easy with one) and then used a grinding wheel to finish the edges. Then the guy took the side rails and tail light housing down and had them powder coated--It looks sick! I love how it was blacked out in the back like that! I think I have enough confidence now to give it a shot on my own--If worse comes to worse, I have a guy in town that I could talk to-- The best part about it was the whole thing ran him $50 for the powder coating!

Take pictures and share!!

Fo Sho! The one thing I ponder... When I talked to the guy he did say that if I ever get caught in the rain it will spray my wife pretty good in the back with the absence of the cheese grater.. This will take some thought:)

thats exactly why i decided not to hack my tail off. even with it and riding on wet roads my back gets muddy and wet. i can only imagine how bad it would be without it.

however .. i still love the way it looks!

Ok, it looks like I will have to get busy inventing a snap on cheese grater replacement that can be put on when the roads are wet. I'm sure I'd be able to sell more than a few.;)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast