Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you adjust the clutch?

I haven't picked up the service manual yet, was waiting till after the holidays. But my clutch needs to be adjusted, when I have the clutch lever pulled all the way in the clutch is still grabbing a little. Its for a xb12stt.

Thanks.

There's two, try the cable adjustment first then move on to the one in the primary if you still have the "grabbing". Like you said, procedures are in the manual.

Clutch Cable Adjustment

Clutch Adjustment - Primary

Thanks Steven!

No problem, that's what we're here for.

Adjusting the clutch is easy, Turn the nuts in pitcher 1 until there is lots of play in the clutch, I backed mine almost all the way out. Open you clutch inspection cover and with a flat screwdriver turn the clutch adjuster screw clockwise until it stops then back off 1/4 to 1/2 turn reinstall cover (I backed it out 1/2 and it worked good). Tighten clutch adjuster in picture 1 until there is just a very small amount of slop in the clutch lever pull, tighten the jam nut and your done.... Make sure you test it before you head out on the road.

also #2 in pic 4 will allow u too adjust the right amount of length in the cable whilst ur in the middle of all this.

Is there a way to adjust at which point the clutch engages as well, without making the outside section sloppy and loose?

It's hard to explain, I guess if you break it down, the SV has like 10% free play, then 60% transition, then 30% of fully engaged(or disengaged, I forget the terminology).

The XB has like 10% free play, then 30% transition, then 60% fully engaged.

So, on the XB,the "clutch transition zone" is near the end of the lever, and on the SV, it's near the center.

Is there a way to move it in a hair, without making too much free play in the lever and having it flop around?

I guess I'd either have to have to shorten the fully out length of the lever, or widen the transition zone?

Sorry for the threadjack, but it's kind related. I adjusted my clutch all the time on the SV, but forget if this part was adjustable.

Changing the friction zone (transition zone like you called it) would involve getting a different clutch plate spring or friction plates themselves. Simply the way these are designed sets the friction zone and pull length. Once you get use to it, everything is second nature.

It was really weird for me going back to Hondas because it felt really light when I pulled the clutch in and like the friction zone was huge :D. I prefer the stiffer clutch now after a couple years on it.

Much less, all the stiff clutch and break lever action tones up your forearms hehe.

But if you really want to get a different feel in the clutch, I believe Erik Buell Racing will still be able to supply some of the race slipper clutches for the XB series. I have heard good things about them. I have also ridden an XB12STT which had an aftermarket spring in it and it had almost a 1/2 of friction zone with a pretty close pull weight. There is some different stuff out there, basically every single sportster clutch kit will fit in the XB9 and XB12 bikes.

cool, thanks man. I didn't think that was easily adjusted. I know how to change how far out the clutch is...but then the free play would leave it wobbling around.

I'll get used to it as-is. Not the end of the world, may even like it more.

-end threadjack-

Ok not sure but I losened up my clutch djustments so the lever is just flopping around, removed the cover and tryed 2 turn the adjustment nut and it don't move..did I miss something?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast