Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pulley Swap

Ya I've been looking on line for aftermarket primary chain sprocket....looks like I'd have to go straight to Harley for the Buell parts. That's if I put a 12 primary on a 9. What's it worth ...any idea?

BTW...anyone know how to calculate:
    1. final drive ratio
    2. top speed....or theoretical top speed?

I'll take a look at iron machine in the mean time.

They call it "11% primary gear reduction" for control down low and for those that don't care about speed. A 9 sprocket and new chain.
    You think they'd have a primary non-reduction kit. For those that want a little more speed from a 9(and lower highway revs) A 12 sprocket and new chain perhaps.

Would be an interesting experiment. And not too hard to coax more hp from a 9...probably pretty comparable to a 12. And probably get a more reliable motor to boot. No? Hotter cams....race kit with filter, ecu and exhaust etc..... Have a motor that pulls like a train and sounds wicked mon. That extra power I think would probably be more than enough to help with the increased gearing. Off line accel. shouldn't suffer too much if any.... I would think. Lets give er a go.

buelltool, you're logic makes some sence, but you gotta think further...

putting a 12 sprocket/chain primairy on a 9 will give you lower rev's, yes. but your engine will have to work hard to get to it's speed and will have less hp & torque on the back wheel.
    which means that you'll have more wear on the engine and it's parts.
    not even talking about all the torque fun you'll miss out on.

all that for a 500rpm's (tops) less?
    not worth it in my eyes.

Actually...my logic is silly. The obvious decision from an economics perspective is to get a 12 and be done with it.....won't miss out on all that torque fun with a higher motor grunt factor. Ridden a 12 and holy crap was it wicked fast out of the hole.....can't see why all these cycle mags are always beatin up on the buells...calling them dinos.....low tech...saying the motor is the weakest link..yada...yada...yada. go figure.

i've bought that smaller sprocket from XB9 with chain and i'm going to put it on my XB12. i hope to see some significant improvement in acceleration. i don't care about the top speed - i hardly go over 180 km/h.

guys, has anybody done it yet?

you could allways go with a baker 6spped tranny, smooth and an extra cog for the rpms, downside? $1500

i don't want to drom rpms. xb9 sprocket put on xb12 is to boost acceleration.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123