Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suspension fine tunning guide

Always count up from the bottom detent or LEAST preload position.

Here are some General suspension problems and solutions for 2008 xb models...

can I post questions to this thread? if not, let me know and I'll copy/quote and start new.

so, some great info here, guys, thanks for posting. I was referred to this when I asked about bike feel. mine feels pretty rough on irregular surfaces. if I don't transfer weight to my legs and use my core for support, I find that the bike bucks me sometimes, and is jarring on hits, small or otherwise, and it's difficult to control; disconcerting to say the least, especially in turns at slower speeds combined with that sub-3k throttle bs that I need to get worked out, as well. this effect is not as pronounced on other bikes I've ridden with squishier suspensions, more raked out, and longer wheel bases. love this bike, so I'm really trying to get this suspension business sorted out.

I think I'm cued in to a couple of possible adjustments now, but just when I think I'm getting the hang of this stuff, I find out that everything I thought I knew was crap, and find myself back at square one. I've had this bike for 3 years now and while it's been acceptable, I'm convinced that it can be better, and properly responsive.

I'd like to ask some questions regarding meaning of these symptoms:

1. What does it mean to say that the bike wallows in turns?
    2. What does it mean to say bike feels vague, or vague mid-corner?
    3. What does front wheel chatter in turns mean?
    4. What does front wheel chatter during braking mean?

I think I may have grossly underestimated my Fork Preload Requirement according to the manual specifications. Consequently, I may be running in mid to lower range of suspension travel, and also too much compression damping, giving me this harsh ride especially over washboard surfaces, or lack of compliance at highway speeds over sucky roads. I've tried reducing compression damping in the past, but then the bike dives too much, and it's still not comfortable. which brings me back to preload. what do you guys think?

Any video walk through of setting up a suspension? Never done it so lost to begin, then terminology is eluding me some.

You should download a manual and it will show you how to setup your bike for your weight + has pic to show you.

http://youtu.be/rv8DY5Prl5c

It doesn't get much simpler.

Some good tips in the OP (even if this is a zombie thread), but several tips I don't see:

- Begin with good tires inflated properly

- Start with a baseline setting using the manufacturer's recommended settings for your weight

- Setup sag (~ 1.5" front & 1" rear)

- Working incrementally, only manipulate ONE parameter at a time & keep notes on the effects of the changes you're making so you know if you're making progress

- Work methodically through front compression, then front rebound, then rear compression, & lastly rear rebound

- Be patient & allow several days to get your settings dialled in right!

- Proper setup is as much art as science. There's no shame in having a professional do the work for you if any of the above eludes you!
    :D

marker for future reference. Sorry, carry on please. :D

good stuff guys, +1

Thanks for the video link. I saw it at one point, but since it was for a 1125, didnt watch it. Dumb me

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast