Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil level frustration

i thought i was the only one.

Its always coming up too low... even when i know there is more than the oil required (just done service myself)

it really irritates me because i never know if its using too much oil or not.

I just did my first service myself (too cheap to pay the dealer). Still cost me $65 in parts (the 2 o-rings were $10 - I think they were made of gold). Anyway, 3qt is just about right - hot and cold! I am glad I changed the oil, the oil was DIRTY for 600 miles.

:p I do all my own service, run the bike, take a ride. let the bike idle for about 4 minutes,put it on a spool stand or hold up right, let the fans stop running , and check.. all so 3qts 20-50

your interpretation is correct, run until hot, idle upright 3-4, shut off, loosen dipstick, wait 3-4, then check. Try to keep upright exactly that, balanced in the upright position.
    Forget about the cold check.
    I spoke with my buell mechanic at some length about this, this is what he told me. There was an addendum to the the original owners manual that states this procedure.
    For me, so far so good.

I realize this a old thread but it is truly baffling. I changed oil on my 09 CR . Added 3 qts and no matter how I check it it doesn't show on the stick. Hot cold upright side stand doesn't matter. This is the second time I've changed it and I don't remember this issue the first time. Guess that's why they switched to the sight glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
    I realize this a old thread but it is truly baffling. I changed oil on my 09 CR . Added 3 qts and no matter how I check it it doesn't show on the stick. Hot cold upright side stand doesn't matter. This is the second time I've changed it and I don't remember this issue the first time. Guess that's why they switched to the sight glass.

You can also keep adding oil until it does show on the dipstick (dont run the motor), then drain it out into a VERY clean container and measure the volume. Compare the volume in the container to the volume specified in the service book. IIRC it is 3 qts with a filter change, so you should be there, but maybe the manual is incorrect (not like thats ever happened before *sarcasm*). Also, check to see if the part number on the dipstick changed between 2008 or 2009 in case a previous owner (or factory) put the wrong one in for whatever reason.

Its not like its a dry sump setup like an XB where you have to deal with wet sumping or anything like that.

The dipsticks for the newer bike are longer than the older models, so if someone happened to swap the dipstick this could be the issue.

Josh: I never owned a Rotax powered Buell but serviced several. Even directly following a full service with absolute correct quantity of oil added, the "cold oil check" was a crap shoot as to whether you'd even get a few droplets of oil on the tip of the dipstick. But the below sequence seemed accurate and consistent for me so perhaps give it a shot and see if it works for you. I know you know this but common sump engines not only contain the motor bottom end, but also the entire trans assembly..input and output shafts...and wet the clutch pack. Japs dropped the oil-fill/dipstick cap combo decades ago in favor of a sight glass for a reason. Reason being accuracy and ease of checking sump oil level.

This always worked:
    Ride for at least 10-12 miles. Clutch cover should be very warm to the touch.
    Now stop on a flat smooth surface with engine continuing to idle with you sitting on bike in upright position.....let it idle additional 2 minutes.
    Now shut off engine.....stay sitting on bike in upright position....wait 2 minutes. Now reach down and remove dipstick-wipe clean-reinsert and snug up-remove-read dipstick level

Thanks John I'll give that a try. At the end of the day. It holds 3 qts. I put in 3 qts. It's just nice to see the level.

Thanks John I'll give that a try. At the end of the day. It holds 3 qts. I put in 3 qts. It's just nice to see the level.
    My pleasure Josh and couldn't agree more. Comforting to actually confirm correct oil level now and then, on your own.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast