Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: XB12 SS Lightning both lights on - HID redux

Now that HID lighting has become VERY reasonable, we all want them, but at the same time, we need to protect our investment from premature wear and possible damage.

Also, I have a lightning, where somebody designed the lights to be one at a time. Most of us have modded the circuit to be "both on" or wire the low-beam light to an always on source. This is functional, but not sufficient for HID lighting.

I will show you how I re-wired my setup to be HID friendly.

Lets start with the stock left hand light controls.

The lightning gets a steady +12V source from the blue wire, and returns the voltage to the yellow (low beam) or the white (high beam), but NOT BOTH. The flash switch is just a momentary switch to supply power to the high beam.

Now to the fun part. I needed that momentary switch to have a dedicated return path, so I modded my harness to this.

Now the Hi/Low switch was high beam or nothing, while the low beam wire was connected to the momentary switch. Just what I needed for the next diagram.

I went to radio shack and got myself a DPDT (double pole, double throw) relay.

Wiring to this diagram accomplishes a few things. The parking light is the always on circuit, and still functional. The Low beam will be supplied with constant 12V power regardless of high beam state. The relay will stay closed once supplied with 12V power.

That means, I turn my key, and only the "parking" lights activate. I can then turn on the fuel pump and start the bike. The low beam headlight will NOT activate until you hit the flash switch in your light control. Once you hit that flash button, the low beam will stay on until you turn off your key.

No time delay relay needed, and you choose when to turn on your HID lights. The high beam is still switch only, so it will come on with yoyur key, IF you have the hi/low switch in the high position.

I hope this helps.

Thats a great idea, BUT, you have now lost the function of your high beam flash!

LOL, yeah, but I don't know about you, but I don't plan on flashing my HIDs. Sort of the point as why you don't want to turn them on until you start your bike.

Beamshot! BEAMSHOT!!!!

I can see myself forgetting to turn on my lowbeam during the day...

Isn't there a timer available that you can put in line relatively easily that will delay turning on the light, but you still retain all the functions of the high and low beams?

yes, I have thought about that too, I am going to try of making a habit of hitting the flash switch before I shift into first. But, I usually always ride with the high beam during the day, so I think I am covered. :D

also, dave_xb12r got a time delay relay for his setup. after 15 seconds, the relay clicks and the low beam light comes on.

Yer i have a timer on mine, makes life very easy

Below are images I took tonight. The camera was a Canon A75 with a 2.8 fstop and 1 second exposure time on all pics.

happy dave_xb12r?

no beam

low beam

low and high beam

I want to see some distance beam shots! Maybe we should just meet in SC one of these days

we'll have to get together and compare HID notes... MikeSI is holding your 5000K bulbs ransom for his 12000K

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast