Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New around here, Want a few suggestions.

Hi everyone, I'm new to motorcycling and Buells. I bought my Black 2004 XB12s in October, used with 20k miles on it. It was taken care of pretty well and runs like a champ. However I'm a bit of a motorhead, and have started the modification process.
    The bike came with bar end mirrors, that are rather solid, and adjustable levers, though they don't look to be special, not Pazzo's or anything, and what appears to be a crankcase breather mod, mounted rather slickly to the left side air scoop. Also He removed all the logos and decals on the body pieces and put on frame pucks.
    Here's the stuff I'm currently in the middle of doing
    -K&N: Done
    -Hawk Muffler: at hawk now, damn good customer service!
    -ECMspy and cable to do a TPS reset: On the way from ebay
    -Jacks: bought a cheap set
    -Cheese Grater chop: at hawk too
    -Speedo face plate: got a custom one from the french guy =P
    -Turn signals: Bought LED's for front and back
    -S10 gas mask: Had to have one, on it's way from Brittan
    -I bought a rear brembo brake off a ducati monster 695 on ebay, and a master cylinder off a ktm, that looks the same as the one I need for the conversion and on the next paycheck I'll get the bracket from dark horse.
    -Right side air scoop: Buellsterparts on the next paycheck.

Things I need to consider
    -Wheels: My translucent amber ones have some chips in the powdercoating from where tires were installed by previous owner. I don't know if I should get them redone, get new ones, or just get touch up paint. Also I think I like black with red pinstripe better
    -Tires: I'm pretty sure I'm going to need a new set during the next riding season.
    -Header wrap: I think it kind of looks cool, upsides/ downsides?
    -Preventative Maintenance: I've done an oil change, changed spark plugs to platinum, and put a small hose clamp on the clutch cable boot to keep water out. I put injector cleaner through it, and I have stabil in the tank to keep the gas fresh since I am away from it currently and the driveway has some snow on it lol. What other major or minor things should I look at?

I love this bike so far, I want to keep her forever, which is a long time considering I'm only 19. So please guys, tell me all the tips and tricks to keep this amazing piece of machinery in good running condition for at least another 20k miles! I'm glad I was able to get a buell, and become part of all the helpful people in the community, just want to be a member for a long time to come.

Sorry for not having Pictures, but unfortunately I'm away from her, and I didn't take any last time I was home. I'll introduce her this weekend, when I get to get a chance to turn a couple wrenches and do some work.

Dv,
    you seem to be on the right track. the only thing I can see that may be an issue is the plug choice, most of the XB guys swear by the NGK Iridiums. Tire Choice has been discussed several threads over. wraps the same, I personally like the clean look of Ceramic coating, Black with red stripe ala the 1125cr, should look very sharp on any Black Bike.

As far as keeping it running for the 20k, with regular maintenance it will do that many times over. I have a 98 S3 with over 60k, replaced the final belt once, it didn't break just thought it was time. oil and filter changes, plugs and wires, clean the air filter.
    Good luck and ride Smart and Be Safe.
    Later

I was thinking of these as far as tires goMetzeler sportec m3

Also do you have a recommendation for wires?

Great idea listening to Hawk about those things.

This is what I do, I read all post from people asking for help for something that went wrong, and when it is answered, I go over my bike and try to prevent that from ever happening. Just takes a good amount of reading but people are always entertaining.

Want to come work on mine a little? I think you take better care of your bike than I take of mine. I buy beer for 19 year olds all the time. Whisky and women are a lot alike. Both are best around 15 years old and mixed up with coke.

(comeon obviously kidding on all counts)

have you considered the amber centre and polished lip on your rims... its a good look and compliments the raw metal elements elsewhere on the bike. like the forks, engine case, heel guards, rotor.

also a good cheaper option that a full change of colour.

for example...

macbuell, Yeah sure, I love having a few beers and working on something with an engine me and my buddy were always working on his 69 charger and six pack of beer before I moved away. But unless your coming over to my shop I don't drink and ride, or drive for that matter. Also, yeah I know, I haven't been lurking that long, but these are just some of the things I've picked up on so far.

Twoguns, That is a sweet idea! How did you remove the powercoat safely, and precisely? Also what did you use for polish, just a standard aluminum wheel cleaner/polish?

that isnt my ride... i have thought it though.

a mate did. just masked up the rim and paint striped the edge, then buffed it with a dremel and buffer and polish.

sweet a cheap alternative until I get cash for black and red ones.

i reckon... i am thinking to do this to my 09 buell. its a black with red rims... but not sure how it will look. everything else is black on the bike.

I want to get a black transmission cover, but that's down the road.. I love the stealth mode buells

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast