Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1125R good choice for a first bike?

So that is the question. I recently decided to learn to ride and took the local MSF course. In addition to that I have some experience on my friends 07 CBR600RR. I was busy shopping CL for a bike and stumbled across an 08 Buell 1125R. The bike is basically new (less than 100 miles). I really like the looks, but I am wondering if a liter bike is a good choice for someone as novice as I am. I have no urge to track the bike what so ever. I am a decent sized guy 6'0 185lbs and I want something that will fit me well. The CBR is ok, but honestly not as comfortable as it could be. I think Buells are gorgeous bikes, I just am not sure if the big Buell is a good choice for me at my current riding level. I am 30 so there’s no doing 150 on the freeway and splitting traffic in my future. I want something reliable and with good handling for driving around town.

You're kidding right? The 1125R is NOT a starter bike for anyone regardless of age. And if you're thinking you "won't" be trying to race it every once in awhile, you've definitely not mature enough. Be aware that Buells are no longer in production, so parts will begin to be hard to find in a couple of years... just my 2 cents...

I say get a xb12r firebolt. Start off driving it real easy. You will get comfortable with it, with in a month. Make sure you adjust the suspention as the book says for you weight. Have fun. You wont have a need for an 1125. Not by the way you describe yourself. I have a firebolt xb12r and it is as much as I will ever need. It has plenty of torque with out the uncontrollable HP serges, to pull your ass around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3aUObJIEnM

if you want to have a great bike and your days of tearing up the freeway @ 150mph are past you then maybe one of the XB's would more suited for you, fantastic handleing, tons of torque and a more relaxed riding position...
    I am 6'2" @ 205# and ride a XB9sx with no comfort problems...

http://www.facebook.com/VIMMA.BootCa...v=336539915402

aside from that edjamacate yourself aboot everything Buell..
    welcome to the best Buell forum out there and when you decide which one your getting, post pics
    :)

Here is another vid of a Firebolt. Just to show you how the chicks dig it.:D:D:D

Oh yea, and welcome. It you get a Buell this will be your second home. This is the best Buell site ever. i learn so much here. Its great. Every one here help everbody else save time and money with there combined knowlege.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Pz6F50RFyA

Wow funnythebunny I think your reply was pretty dickish. Thanks for the welcome to the forum. Thankfully you have my maturity level (and everyone elses) all figured out. Good to know.

As for everyone elses replies I appreciate them. Being new to riding is fairly daunting with all the bike options and choices out there. I am always glad to find a well informed supportive community. I will look into the XB12R. I liked the reviews of the 1125R because they mentioned this being the first Buell with a different engine and it is liquid cooled?

Super Moderator
    BucBrew, it would be very unwise for you to start out with an 1125. I got myself into all sorts of trouble with my first bike, and it was only a 650.

You're the only one who knows what you can handle, but for what it's worth, I wouldn't even suggest starting out on an 1125 to someone who has YEARS of off-road riding under their belt. It's just not a good choice.

Dick or not, funnythebunny makes a good point.

Buc, check out mod Stevenc150 profile it has a ton of links, saves some time when your searching for something..

As far as the water cooled. You might want to know the firebolt might be oil colled but it also has an oil radiator and oil in the swing arm wich keeps it a lot coller then a Harley. Plus it has a cooling fan that kicks on and off as needed. You can also add a right side scoop to cool it even farther. I will never sell my firebolt. Its a keeper for life. There a lot of buell owners who feel the same way.

If you like the looks of a naked rocket..go for the firebolt. If you think that you can take it easy on the 1125 until you get used to it..more power to you. Money IS an issue nowadays. If you think that you're just going to upgrade to the 1125 anyway, save yourself some money and get it now. I learned how to ride on a Ninja 250. The first bike I bought was a GSXR 750 when I was 17. I learned a lot about the good and bad of having a bike that goes fast. You'll discover your limitations quickly, just respect the power that it has.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast