Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 1125R good choice for a first bike?

Buc I was pretty much in your shoes 4 months ago. I'm 34 so the urge to be really stupid has mostly passed my by. I bought a xb12scg for my first bike and am very happy with it. I haven't come close to pushing the limits of that bike. The firebolt has a more aggressive riding position compared to the xb otherwise they are virtually the same bike, with some minor differences. I really don't see you regretting not getting the 1125. Guys, please feel free to correct me if i'm mistaken about any of this (bit of a noob here). Just trying to help the guy out.

I disagree with everyone. If you want it, buy it. If you don't think you're gonna race it, then you won't. All sorts of people get all twisted up on thier first bikes, regardless of the size. Yes, you will get in much much much more trouble when that day comes if you're out there trying to be Mr. MotoGP on it. But, if you're just commuting and having some fun, it doesn't matter how fast it is.

I had the same dilema (although not for my first bike) and I rode both; I think Firebolts handle better, cost less, have more parts, are cheaper to insure, aren't as bulky, and sound 10x better. Every now and then I wish I had more power, but then again, I also go 140 on the freeway. So, to each their own.

For what its worth, the only reason I was between an 1125 and an XB was that the 1125 was water cooled and I had riden an XB in the summer before. The 1125 was just as hot to me.

And to Scheusal:

No, the Firebolt and the 1125 are different bikes. The Firebolt is an XB. The Lightning is an XB12S(s)(cg) and the Firebolt is an XB12R. The 1125 is a totally different bike. It also has the same frame/gas tank section, but the rest is different.

Get it.Just take it easy and work your way into it.Remember its powerful and fast.Whtch you tube motorcycle crash videos before you go hot roddin!!!

Bucbrew
    146 hp bike is ALLOT
    and why buy Cl when you can get them from a Dealer for 6500-7500 OTD if your not in cali with a full 2 year warranty
    I would point you toward a xb9 if you like sitting more up right and driving mostly around town a Cityx
    Mchenry in illnios has a demo 2004 couple hunderd miles for 3995 and tax and it has never been titled.
    if you haven't seen this yet.
    buell locater is here
    http://www.buell.com/en_us/tools/fin...lNL&camp_id=16

I have an XB9R Firebolt and an 1125CR and you can get into trouble on both if you ride like an idiot. Same goes for the other side of the coin. If you ride responsibly and respect it, you will be fine with either. Get whatever suits you best. We all learned to crawl before we walked and walked before we ran. Just my .02 cents.

I can also say, since buying the CR last October, I have ridden the Firebolt twice. The 1125 is that good.

I agree with most of what has been said. It would be best to start out with a less powerful bike, but hopefully with your age comes a certain amount of self control.

You might consider taking one of the rider courses just to give you some insights into general safety issues.

Get a Suzuki Sv650S. Great bike, lots of aftermarket support.

I'm with afinley, buy the bike that you want. My first bike is my 08 XB12S. A lot of people told me to start off with something smaller, but I got the bike I wanted. As long as you take it easy and learn your bike and your limits before you open it up, I don't see the problem.

I think I may have some insight. I'm 22 (yes, young and somewhat dumb) and have a xb9sx and 1125cr, both sides of the fence. I won't lie, I've done everything from splitting cars at 110+ to "separating myself" from you know who at speeds that promise bad health. Now with that being said, I did start ridn at 12 on a dirtbike and crashd it a lot, so I had some exp bfore i bought my xb. i rode that for a wile and bought my cr bout two months ago and have nuthn but a blast wen i get on it. Great bike! ive gotten the stupid outa my system and actually am now a BRC coach. I love ridn and my ability to walk, plus i paid too much money for this thing to be stupid on it. Long story short.......Get what you want. If you take it slow, anything is possible. I do agree though with the gents above though, an xb12r is more than enough for anyone. Hell I want one.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast