Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 1125R good choice for a first bike?

Bucbrew: Welcome to the forum, always glad to have a new poster. You will have to excuse some of the non polite posters, for the most part the people on this site are pleasant, knowledgeable, and happy to answer any questions. Just try to use the search function before asking questions, some of the questions get posted have been answered many many times over.

Now, to answer your question... The bike you get is nothing more then a personal preference. The only thing you can do is ride the bike to see what feels right. If you are just puttering around town you may not even like the riding stance of the 1125r (or the xb12r), it's a pretty aggressive stance.

Riding safely is all about knowing your ability, and not doing stupid stuff. The majority of the people that hurt themselves do it while attempting to do something stupid or something that is beyond THEIR capability as a rider.

Does the 1125 have a ****-ton of power? Yeah, it does. Would it be really easy to get yourself into a bad situation in a big hurry? Most certainly. If you use your head all the time is the 1125 "too much bike"? No.

Whatever you get, make sure you take the time to learn your bike.

Buc: A few months back I was kinda in your shoes. I just started riding & months ago. I bought a '97 ninja 600. Wasn't much bike for my size (6'2" 240#) but I had never rode anything with 2 wheels and an engine before. I loved riding but wasn't comfortable on the bike. After looking at every brand bike in sizes from 750-1200 and after much research and debating between the 1125 and the XB12 I decided on the 1125R and I haven't regretted my decision for a minute. It handles so much better than the 600 ninja did and because of that I feel more comfortable laying in a curve and have learned a l ot on the bike. I took it very easy at first and still do somewhat in comparison to what the bike will actually do. It's a comfortable ride for me and I do mostly in town riding. I've never rode the XB but if the quality is anything like the 1125 (and I'm sure it is) I think you would be happy with either bike. Just take your time to get familiar with whatever you get and don't try to ride above your limits. Best of luck to you and happy riding.

Welcome to the forum. .. +1 buelysses and most every other poster here. every one will have a bit of a different opinion, whether good or bad, or if you, or anyone else likes it or not. ride it first or at least sit on it talk to other owners here look at the XB too. also think about your riding skills and abilities and know what your limits are and dont exceded them. also i got to say think about the cost of insurance payments, loan cost, and most of all the cost to repair it WHEN (NOT IF) you lay the bike down , because it will happen SOONER OR LATER , no matter what you think or others may tell you it hasn't happen to them, because it will. even if its when think your in complete control or even sitting at a stop light, or whatever. it your chioce in the end just make it a smart, well informed decision, like it sounds your trying to do .

Get a Suzuki Sv650S. Great bike, lots of aftermarket support.
    :(

Hey, great replies everyone. I am going to check out some XB12R's and a XB12s (lightning?). I want to stay within my limits for sure, if the 1125 R is not there then maybe one day I can graduaet to it. There are soo many options out there. If I end up with a japaneese sport bike it will most likely be a CBR600RR. I also am talking to a guy selling an Aprilla 750 Shiver, which looks pretty sweet. I am sure some of these bikes will simply not fit me, so I am going on looks and reliability reports online for now.

Just curious, the 1125R I was looking at was a 2008 with undre 50 miles on it for $6500. I checked KBB and I am thinking maybe it is not such a great deal I thouhgt it was.

Get a Suzuki Sv650S. Great bike, lots of aftermarket support.

Yeah, I wasn't going to touch that one. Just assumed "Kidder" forgot which forum he was on. ;)

Buc;
    Not sure how many of them are out there still (there was a link to check dealership stock) a bunch of 09 and 10 new ones out there for $6900

just my opinion but if you're not taking it to the track... more fun to go fast on a slow bike than slow on a fast bike

i guess that would work better if the XBs were slow.. you get the idea though...

If you want it, I would not count on getting an 1125 in the future. You do know the company is out of business, right? Because of that you can get new ones dirt cheap right now, and I wouldn't count on being able to score one down the road.

id get the 09. the 08s had a few bugs. most have been work out but the 09s are the premiere bikes of buell.;)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast