Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 09 xb12xt: 30mpg avg, dies 3-5 times at startup. oil pump vacuum... etc

DONE AND DONE! The cylinders, pistons were replaced, starts 1st try, idles a 1100 rpm, steady as a rock. Super stoked, and very thankful to all the service techs at Paradise Harley Davidson. Here is what the service repair order says

"Zeroed TPS, AFV reset, pulled airbox assembly. Test ride good. Bike came back with same problem. Compression tested good went to test leakdown back with same problem. Compression tested good went to test leakdown and found both cylinder walls scored. Suspect lack of compression was causing bike to run rich and leading to runability problem. Replaced cylinder and pistons, reset AFV. Test ride good."

Techs said that it probably began in the factory, nothing I could really have done to cause this (Whew!). Just gonna break her in and will report if any future problems.

Super Moderator
    Now's the time to break her in hard and really seat those rings.

Ride it like you stole it.

Really? You really suggest I break it in hard? I have read that advice many times both here and on badweb. For some reason I have my hesitations, if only because of all the issues that I had with my motor.

That being said, I might rather trust actual Buell owners on this one as opposed to the actual Buell Owners Manual. I have already put on about 25 cautious miles and it is so hard not to ride it like it wants to be ridden, instead of like an HD.

I will research break-in techniques, and proceed from there. Thanks again everyone!

Super Moderator
    A lot of people like to break engines in gently. I understand the logic, but I'm not sure I agree.

The first 50 miles of a break-in are key, so I wouldn't proceed any further until you've figured out how you want to do the deed.

Today, tolerances are muuuuch better, and a gentle break-in isn't necessary to avoid catastrophic failure. Breaking your engine in HARD will fully seat the rings and ensure maximum power and life of your engine (not to mention decreasing oil burning). I know a lot of people will disagree with me on this, but I've broken in a lot of high end engines in this way, and always had incredible lifespans and power over other break-in methods.

I broke my Buell in VERY hard and avoided staying at any constant RPM for 1000 miles. I know a lot of people say Buells are thirsty during break-in, but mine wasn't. I didn't burn a single drop of oil. No excess metal showed up in my oil compared to a gentle break in. To me, the hard break in is more than worth it.

Unfortunately, I have already put on about 30 miles of relatively easy break-in. I will just startt ridin the piss outta her, if its not too late.

I know that my first break-in was using oil like crazy, but now I attribute that mostly to the cylinder scratches. The easy break-in seems to also have played a factor, perhaps. Thanks for all the advice... -k

Super Moderator
    Just look up the MotoMan method. That's one of the "break it in hard" variants.

I do my own version of it, but it's close enough.

That is exactly what I found. According to motoman, the first 20 miles are the most important, which basically means that the ride from the dealership was my breakin ride. Puushed it to around 4.3k rpms a few times, nothing crazy. Hopefully that was enough.

Time to ride!

-K

Well, here they are. Videos of my STILL malfunctioning 2009 Buell Ulysses xb12xt.

Link to my startup issue videos.

I am done. Going in to the dealership with a copy of the oregon lemon law and requesting a trade or refund. I looked at the law, seem to qualify.

If within 2 yrs or 24000 miles the bike has a defect which the dealer was unable to repair within 3 attempts the bike can be considered a lemon. Wish me luck, shooting for a new/used XB12X!

-Kellen

Link to my Startup Videos

The legislative web page:

Oregon Lemon Law

[edit]
    Well, met with the shop foreman, mechanics, etc. today. They asked my story, start to finish, and what route I would like to pursue from here on out. They expressed the desire to continue working to make me happy, whatever the avenue. They, of course, can not even say the word 'lemon' but it was danced around with an artistry that I have not before seen.

The process has begun, sounds like they will be replacing my bike with another. Eventually. Hopefully.

Super Moderator
    Where in Oregon are you?

Portland, OR. Paradise HD is the dealership I visit. You nearby?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast