Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 09 xb12xt: 30mpg avg, dies 3-5 times at startup. oil pump vacuum... etc

Done, again!

I will be picking up my bike tomorrow after 4 weeks in the shop while my 5 pelvic fractures healed, so no real complaints on the timeframe. If Rossi can race, I can at least get the bike home...

They went over all of the grounds, tried to blame a poorly wired ground where the ECM is grounded (I may have began a topcase brakelight mod, blown a fuse and bailed after getting the damn brake lights working again...). When that did not resolve the issue, they ran the bike w/o the O2 sensors, did some diagnosing and it turned out that changing the fuel pump seems to have fixed it.

They seem pretty sure of themselves, but then again they have been the same with every other attempt at repair (fuel pump replacement, scratched cylinders, bad ground). I really hope this works. I will begin to PM others who have reported this problem as soon as I can verify the fix.

Fingers crossed!

they need to look what is causing the cylinder wall scoring...ok, shortage of oil, but what is causing that?
    could be that your cranck isn't aligned correctly.
    although i'm not really convinced this would stall the bike at start and then not anymore.

if you start the bike and use the throttle to keep it at about 1500rpm for about 30 seconds, does it die afterwards?

can you also give the type of oil you're running?

Using standard HD dino oil. The issue seems to be resolve, but have not done extensive riding yet.

Re cylinder scratches: they think they were like that from factory.

Thnks for the reply!

My 08 xt started doing the same thing after about 8000 miles. Five trips to two different dealers, each time it ran good for about 200-300 miles then problem returned. They updated the ecm software, cleaned ground terminals, reset TPS, reset AFV, replaced o2 sensor, and reflashed the ECM. I live in Louisiana, cold is not an issue. If you get 500 miles or so on the new fuel pump and it's still running good, will you post and tell us please? Thanks

Definitely fixed the problem, although my problem did not take 2-300 miles to resurface--it happened within a day or two.

I have a couple hundred on the bike, and it is not a problem any more. Rock steady idle at fire up, does not die or falter at any point. The fuel pump was pushing fuel past the injectors, and the ecm adjusting the afv to compensate, creating a lean (i think) condition. If it comes back from test rides with a low AFV every time, this might solve your problem. They did everything to mine as they have done to yours (o2 sensor, etc plus cylinders, oil pump, etc) and finally ended up at the fuel pump. After changing that, it came back for the first time from a test ride with a higher AFV.

Hit them up for the fuel pump! They did all of that for me (on ESP). Next you need to be calling customer care (see number in previous posts somewhere) and begin documenting your case. Look up lemon laws where you live and bring copies (to be used in emergencies!). Bring all paperwork as well. Keep a link to my videos handy to help them diagnose if needed, and begin video documenting your own starts.

If you qualify under a lemon law, a written letter to HDMC customer care stating your reasons and requesting a lemon-law trade in and qualifying factors will GET THEM TO RED LABEL PARTS FOR YOU and get them moving. :)

Ask them to RED LABEL THE PUMP. Make a (polite) stink. Do you have the ESP warranty?

Most of all, THANK YOU TO PARADISE HD for their patience with me as I got through this annoying Buell glitch... (and you're welcome, Paradise HD, for my modicum of patience as well!)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234