Thread: neutral switch not working after oil change?

had no problems before,just changed the oil and went to start it no neutral.knowing it was not in gear i pulled the clutc and it starts but no light. i took off the cover played with the wires and when i touched the switch it worked but does not stay working. any ideas?

I'm trying to remember what was wrong with mine. It wasn't the switch. Does the neutral light come on when you pull in the clutch?

I'm trying to remember what was wrong with mine. It wasn't the switch. Does the neutral light come on when you pull in the clutch?
    Is that normal? Mine does that, I thought it was odd but figured it was supposed to do that.

Well, when it happened to me, the neutral light would come on whether or not I was in neutral, when I pulled the clutch in. It was something simple...damn memory.

I FOUND IT!

When I dropped my bike, it somehow blew the ACC fuse. Replaced it and wala!

no light at all,but starts and is in neutral. ill check the fuses but i think it has something to do with the oil change.went from the last owners cheap oil to full synthetic..maby the sencer is not picking it up? but if i wiggle the sencer it works for awhile..weird

Maybe remove the switch and clean it off and the the connector. I have another switch from when I thought mine went up. You're in Maryland right?

The switch is like 5 buck from harley.

thanks for the info.im in ma....it sucks here! its starting to work..im thinking the difference in the oil was confusing the sencer.if not ill just replace the switch.

If the neutral light comes on when you pull the clutch in the diode that is fitted in the fuse panel is fitted the wrong way around. It is the bit that looks like a black fuse with a diode symbol - similar to '-|<-' marked on the top.
    This diode is there to allow the start relay to have a ground via the clutch switch without lighting the neutral switch.

The neutral switch electrical connection is a push-on thing so is easy to remove check the operation of the switch with an ohmmeter. When in neutral this switch should have very close to zero ohms resistance. I've seen a couple that have gone resistive and the symptom is machine-gun noises from the starter that can be circumvented by pulling the clutch in when thumbing the starter.
    The other symptom is flickering of the neutral light that can range from a duller light to no light - of course when there is no light the starter won't work at all.

Depending on the model that switch can be a bear to get out because of the location of the pulley. On '06 & '07 Ulys at least you can grind down a socket to do the job without removing the front pulley. PM me if you need any more details.

its now working fine after i pull the cluth in and stays working..i can live with that.ill check the diode anyway,thanks.