Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 08 1125R high R Bar kit pics

I ordered the high R Bar Kit from americansportbike.com for my 08 1125R. Here are some pics and my thoughts after working with it. First, the instructions come with pics of cable rerouts before and after. They say get a licenced tech to do it but in my experience (they could have killed me thread)if you can do it yourself. Maybe you should. Ok, the first time I grabbed the bars I noticed they feel really wide. The bars ARE wider and when you are riding it makes the front end feel a little touchy. My answer to this was to cut 3/4 of an inch off of each bar end and now it feels perfect. More like stock only taller. It does make it more comfortable to ride and puts you in a more upright position. Not as much as a lightning of course but not as agressive as a firebolt. Somewhere in the middle. A note though. If you keep the bars wide than you really need to get the mirror extenders or your mirrors seem useless. I have pics of those on another thread I am doing. So in closing, I really like the bars, my wife really likes them and says it made it easier for her to ride too. The bar kit was $225, alot cheaper than the convertibars and imo alot nicer looking. More stock like. You can also get the Uly heated grips kit at the same time, I did and I am so glad I did. I cant tell you how great the warmers are. Worth their weight in gold! 35 degrees out and I rode without gloves!

Anybody else install these?

looks good!

looks good! I need a set of those but even though they are much less then the converti's they are still way too much for how simple they are. I will probably just have a local fabricator make me some for less then half the price. They look great though. good job on the install

Its the cable rerouting thats not simple. Even the Harley techs at a dealership had it rough. (see they could have killed me thread.) The tolerences for the bars hitting the fairing, air cover, ect all had to be engineered. The control pods have nipples in them that go into holes in the bars that need to be placed just right. I found that out when I cut 3/4 of an inch off each bar end to bring my hands closer together. Then I had to drll new holes for them as well. It sounds easy but its not. All of that is figured into the price of things.

I just read the thread and WOW you went through some crap with HD. HD techs are pretty much idiots and I wouldn't even let them change my oil but that manager sounds top notch, Glad to hear it all worked out and they took care of you. After all that though you still had to cut and drill the bars yourself? Now I really think they are a bit overpriced. maybe I will just ride over to Americansportbike.com (I live close) and see if I can get them in the proper length,then it would be worth it to me. Al is pretty cool and might hook it up.
    Thanks for all your insight, ride safe.

Hey lightingbolt, The bars came cut and drilled according to their specs but after they were put on I personally didnt like the way they felt. They were wider than stock and I felt awkward at how wide my hands were. I had more control to turn for sure but it didnt feel right to me. So on my own I measured how much I could get away with but still make it past my fairing. 3/4 of an inch was it. But after I cut them I found out I had to drill new holes for the control pods. The cool thing about it was that that 3/4 took care of the wiring being stretched to tight. So not only does it feel alot beter, more like stock only higher but it took care of the lack of slack in the wires too. But you need to know that was all on my personal preference. The bars come from them ready to put on, drilled and everything.

I am really tempted to order these
    http://www.americansportbike.com/sho...how/16108.html
    and a clutch line if you rotated them back the rise would be slightly more than what you have

The bars for the 1125R are slotted so you cant roll them. Also, the brake and clutch cylinders would hit the fairing braces. The tolerences are as close as you can get. Especially since I cut 3/4 off the bar ends to bring my hands closer. The link you provided is for XB risers. Those wont fit the 1125R

Yeah I feel ya triple. problem is I would probably want them shorter too. I putting them on my Firebolt triple clamp, and the way those bars come would be to long for me too. do you think that those risers that RT mentioned above would work on my clamp? I wonder if they will slide into the bar slot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast