Thread: Harley driving me nuts!

Ok… So I brought my bike in two days ago to Harley Laval in Montreal because one of my plug wires came loose, she died on me and I’m tired of changing plug related issues myself. The tech seems to make it his mission to not warranty anything! The loose plug wire is because of the dual headlight mod? The TPS can’t reset because of my bar-end mirrors? He wanted to turn it all back to stock and charge me for it!

Has anyone had an issue with the headlight mod?

My Oberons are in no way rubbing against the grips… Does this make sense???

I am SO pissed at the moment, she’s an ’09 with 1,600km for craps sake!

No talk to the service manger if that does remedy it talk with the owner store manger.
    If they till won't cure this go call Harley there should be a customer service number in your manual.
    All Harley super chromed out bikes suggest you make it your own customize bla bla bla

Do any of their claims sound legit???

The lights drawing too much power? Common.

I know exactly why it died... I've had to change the plugs a few times and the plug cap is getting loose. She was only firing on one cylinder when it stalled.

This is bunch of BS!!! Any of mods listed don't interfere with anything. I have dual light mod and have no problems for 7 years now (mine is 03 XB9S). It runs on one cylinder cause either wire is loose or plug is fouled. They are full of sh#t! Talk to the owner and if that doesn't help take it to different shop.

Sounds like your dealer doesn't want to deal with you. I have the same setup as you and have had no issues at all. My dealer has been great so far.

I'm going to pass my Harley Montreal and talk to them first before I let them touch a thing... Maybe just the fact that they can take business away from their competitor will help...

Dealing with warranties makes me not want to buy new vehicles. I haven't dealt with any Buell warranties, but I dealt with problems constantly when I had my Triumph Speed4. They always tried to blame the bikes common well known problems on other things, so I've spent quite a while looking into warranties. A manufacture can't deny something just because there is a mod on a bike if it doesn't actually affect the problem(ie. they can't blame your new exhaust for the turnsignal switch on the handlebars going bad). There's no magical 'your entire warranty is voided' that gets them out of fixing anything that breaks for no reason. My chain used to wear through chain gaurds constantly because the gear ratio they put out on the first year of speed 4s was too small, and eventually it started rubbing into my swingarm. Someone who worked there saw me do a small wheelie away from a redlight once and they tried to hold it against me forever, even though common logic tells you that accerating to the point that you're on the back wheel is going to compress the rear suspension, pivoting the swingarm up, lifting the chain, and making it NOT rub, but they didn't want to hear it, they just didn't want to fix anything. The girl at the service counter even tried to deter me with some pity story about how her $4k bicycle broke and the manufacturer wouldn't warranty it and she lost out on the $4k. Why the hell do I care about your bicycle?? just because it broke and you couldn't get it fixed isn't a reason for you to try and screw everyone else out of their warranties.

Point being, keep hassling them, they'll fix it eventually. I used to show up there every day complaining about the same problem, once they got tired of seeing me they just fixed it. The best part was after listening to them tell me I was the only person in the world with this problem(which they 'confirmed' with Triumph headquarters) and saying that the size of the gears had nothing to do with it, the 2004 models came out with a +1+3 gear setup. Same exact ratio, just bigger cogs to lift the chain up off of the swingarm, and they finally had to just give me a new front and rear sprocket along with a new chain because they couldn't deny it anymore.

Ok... Laval Harley is back in my good books...

After telling the tech to stop touching my bike and informing them I was coming to pick it up I was expecting a charge and nothing repaired.

Was a little surprised to hear no charge, and we'll work something out... Bike works, they fixed the plug wire, reprogrammed the ECU (my fan comes on way more now) and ordered a new battery strap.

So I guess I'm pretty satisfied... for now. Hopefully there won't be any surprises when I come back for the strap.