Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simple pulley swap questions

I searched and read a few posts about the pulley swaps on XB's but did not find all the info I wanted about achieving the overdrive effect (on my 08 XB12R). So I have 2 simple questions: 1) What are the stock tooth counts for the XB9 and XB12?, And 2) The pulley kit by BDL (one of the links I followed from my search) comes with a new bearing retainer and a few other small parts - does this mean the pulley by itself is not quickly changable without also changing those parts, or are they just included because it's a good idea to replace those parts while the pulley is off?

Half-way down this thread: Pulley Swap

Thanks. That partially answered the first of the two questions. Still don't know what the counts are on post '03 XB9's are though. Did the later 9's swap to the bigger belts just like it says the 12's did meaning they'd be a direct swap? The second question remains unanswered though. I simply need to know from anyone who's ever pulled that smaller front pulley off if it's quick and easy to swap or not. I want to be able to put on a 30 tooth for my long highway rides then quickly swap back once reaching my destination. I'd look at it myself but I'm in the middle of the ocean for six months on a NATO deployment. Plus I only got to ride it for about 100 miles before we left on deployment so I don't know much of anything about it yet.

Pulley removes easily. Just remove the lock tab and use an impact gun to remove the large nut. It's huge though.. Like 1 7/8. Pulley comes right off. I think torque spec is 50 ft/lb . I'd use some blue loctite too.

Also very important,if the countershaft is the same as sportster,the threads are reversed.

yes direct swap between the two. (I have a 2006 XB12R drive on my 2003 XB9S) the nine also went up in belt size in later years right with the 12 wider and bigger teeth. as far as swapping out a part for highway riding I'm afraid I got nothing for ya. the gearing difference was in the primary not the belt drive.

Very good info guys. Thanks! That's got most everything answered unless there's anyone on here that actually has done what I'm trying and put a 30t front pulley on the 12 in place of the factory 27t. I'm not sure if this will even work with a stock belt length (I know I'll have to do something to the idler too).

the only problem presented with the 30 tooth is going to be belt tension related,on my sportster each tooth moves the rear wheel aprox. 1/4 "on the buell, you would have to have an adjustable tensioner or longer belt.If there were a smaller rear pulley you would need a shorter belt.the sportster loved the 30, but to match the same ratio on the buell, converting to chain would make to most sense.

the torque spec on the rear pulley nut is ~280 ft/lbs if you follow the installation procedure (or so I've been told by reliable sources)

I was also told the geometry on the teeth may be different between the sportster pulleys and buell pulleys, but there are a number of various teeth counts for sporty belts available

I have previously looking into upgrading to a 29 or 31 tooth pulley to get a little better fuel economy and tame the power band

with what you want to do I think a chain drive would be the best solution.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast