Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: clutch problem

2000 m2 cyclone motor
    It has been sitting for about six years.
    changed all fluids, for starters
    clutch slowly started to not disengage when pulling lever , now will not disengage at all, or at least that is what it feels like,
    I removed clutch basket assembly & all moving parts adj screw & ramp assembly to local shop, they said it looked brand new(it only has 2700 miles on it) took it back home reinstalled per manual
    any body have any ideas

By dis-engage do you mean not allowing the engine and trans to turn at different speeds? the adjustment for the clutch engagement involves the ramp assembly, and the adjustment in the middle of the cable in front of the front cylinder.
    1st adjust the ramp assembly to just provide resistance to the screwdriver as you tighten it. then adjust the middle housing length to provide the 1/16 to 1/8 of free gap at the clutch lever to lever housing.
    that should at least get you in the ballpark.
    later

Sounds like your pressure and friction plates are stuck together after sitting for so long. You may need to take it all apart and do a thorough cleaning.

the clutch was cleaned before reassembly.
    one thing i did notice was the ramp assembly appears to push or lift out when i pull on the clutch lever.
    these symtoms all seemed to happen slowely over a ten mile ride.
    in the beginning the clutch seemed to just drag a little when it was in gear now it feels like the clutch is almost fully hooked when clutch lever is pulled in

Re-adjust the clutch as per the manual. if it was dragging it wasn't properly adjusted. 1st the ramp assembly to where you are just starting to feel resistance on the screw slot, then put the hex lock and inspection cover back on. then adjust the cable until there is 1/16-1/8 of a gap between the cable housing and the lever perch when the clutch is at rest.

ophawk
    I just finished trying your suggestion, and no change
    I am pulling every thing apart again, and starting from scratch.
    one question i do have is the clutch basket supposed to be able float in and out about an 1/8 of a inch
    after it is tightened up

Just got finished with R&R, I didn't put a washer behind locking nut for clutch basket(brainfart).
    now I am making progress.
    I can get the clutch to slip a little when I pull in clutch lever, but I am still futzing with it.
    Part of my problem is I am fighting a bunch of after market stuff from the prior owner.

Yeah that washer would be a problem, I'm sure it is not supposed to float after it is tightened.

What kind of Aftermarket stuff are you dealing with?

keep me posted,
    Dale

The clutch cable, perch, lever are all after market.
    perch & lever seems to be a little sloppy, the pin holding the lever in the perch looks to be under sized

Okay,
    The original perch and lever had a bushing that the pin rode in, which may or may not be one issue,
    the cable may not be the correct length. or have the correct adjuster clamped to the front mount in front of the front cylinder under a bellows type boot.

I wish i had another lever setup I would send it over for you try out. pics may help if you can get them
    Dale

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast