Thread: Aftermarket handlebar - throttle housing fitment

Aftermarket handlebar - throttle housing fitment

Hey all! So I picked up a ProTaper universal low bar and some adapters. Really like the look. Got the bar all mounted up and started re-assembling the throttle housing, and noticed it didn't fit together all the way. Turns out there is a little guide that protruds from the housing which fits into a small hole on the factory bar. Wondering what you guys have done to fit the housing? Grind down the guide? Drill a hole into the new bar? Would appreciate any insight!!

Banned
    Don't grind the pin, drill hole in the bar as it made on the original bar. This hole is for positioning and holding in the place the housing.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 06-11-2018 at 07:42 PM.

Thanks! That's what I originally planned, but was wondering if maybe someone had a different solution. On another note, is there any way to extend the clutch switch cable? It's coming up a little too short for me to plug it back into the clutch perch.

Quote Originally Posted by rtrofimovich View Post
    Thanks! That's what I originally planned, but was wondering if maybe someone had a different solution. On another note, is there any way to extend the clutch switch cable? It's coming up a little too short for me to plug it back into the clutch perch.

I filed down the pins. I dont file them down all the way so they do create an interference fit with the bar. On my first one, I filed the pins down all the way and the control would rotate a little on the bar. I removed the control, and ran a small piece of 3m cloth (hockey) tape around the bar and it solved that.

Myself... if something was to fail because of my mods, I'd rather have a rotating control than a broken bar. Chances are it wont happen, but why not hedge your bet to the safer option. Also, good luck getting that hole in the right spot.

BTW... I run Renthal bars on all my bikes.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 06-11-2018 at 11:41 PM.

I used a small tack in the pin just long enough to make a small scratch in the bar, then drilled where the scratch was. Did that to both sides and the throttle housing and light controls fit well! Not too worried about the bars breaking since the hole is fairly small and the ProTaper bars are pretty beefy. Just gotta figure out what to do with my clutch switch since it doesn't quite reach the plug anymore

Quote Originally Posted by rtrofimovich View Post
    Just gotta figure out what to do with my clutch switch since it doesn't quite reach the plug anymore
    You'll probably just need to get a length of wire and splice it in.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    You'll probably just need to get a length of wire and splice it in.
    Yeah looks like that's my best bet!