Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of buying a XB-12Scg

Quote Originally Posted by darkphaux View Post
    I have an older TDM850...
    I had to look that one up. You clearly like bikes with twin round headlights Me too!

Black with amber wheels is a beautiful combo. Would have been my top pick, if I hadn't found my blue one...

I think I can appreciate having a bike that is a bit different.... actually I put a deposit down.... and I go pick it up tomorrow... As someone else here said... I might be drinking the Buell-aid....

As my current ride is a 30 year old dual carb'd parallel twin, I am no stranger to a wrench. In fact I dont think my bike has ever been into a 'real shop'.... It took me about 3 hours of tinkering to get my bike running again today after hibernating all winter... I'm hoping a more modern fuel injected bike will solve some of my "will it start" anxiety...

While I don't pick it up until tomorrow, here is a pic I took when I went to see it yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Endopotential View Post
    I had to look that one up. You clearly like bikes with twin round headlights Me too!

Black with amber wheels is a beautiful combo. Would have been my top pick, if I hadn't found my blue one...
    Funny you say that, all my gear is blue... so I was hoping to find a blue one. After searching high and low no luck, but this one is very clean and I'm excited to get some new rubber on it and get er out.

As soon as I get it home tomorrow I get to learn how to remove its wheels.... it needs new tires something fierce.

I think I can appreciate having a bike that is a bit different.... actually I put a deposit down.... and I go pick it up tomorrow... As someone else here said... I might be drinking the Buell-aid....

As my current ride is a 30 year old dual carb'd parallel twin, I am no stranger to a wrench. In fact I dont think my bike has ever been into a 'real shop'.... It took me about 3 hours of tinkering to get my bike running again today after hibernating all winter... I'm hoping a more modern fuel injected bike will solve some of my "will it start" anxiety...

While I don't pick it up until tomorrow, here is a pic I took when I went to see it yesterday.

You still will be wondering : "will it start ?" But 9 times out of 10, it will be a dead battery if it does not. BTW, make sure to have the right battery for it so you are less likely to have the problem

Quote Originally Posted by Niklos View Post
    You still will be wondering : "will it start ?" But 9 times out of 10, it will be a dead battery if it does not. BTW, make sure to have the right battery for it so you are less likely to have the problem
    With how easy it is to get to the battery that sounds like barely a problem. My current bike, you have to remove the fuel tank, petcock, and remove the airbox off the carbs.

I digress though.

What sort of tires do people recommend for good street performance? That is the first thing I gotta take care of this week.

With how easy it is to get to the battery that sounds like barely a problem. My current bike, you have to remove the fuel tank, petcock, and remove the airbox off the carbs.
    True fact. It is really easy to access it. But, if it does not want to start when going back from somewhere it might be a problem. Anyways...

What sort of tires do people recommend for good street performance? That is the first thing I gotta take care of this week.
    I use some Michelin Pilot Road 3. I am really happy with them. But when I'll have to change them, I will take the original Pirreli Scorpio back or some Dunlop D208

Tires, depends on how your going to use the bike ?

When you get it home, first thing I would do is clean all the grounds whether they need it or not, then apply a good anti-corrossive to them including on the battery terminals, don't forget the ground on the frame behind the headlight.
    If your taking the wheels off, make sure you have new wheel bearings on hand to change them out.
    Find out if and when he changed out the brake fluids, if he didn't do it, put it on your list.

Funny you say that, all my gear is blue... so I was hoping to find a blue one. After searching high and low no luck, but this one is very clean and I'm excited to get some new rubber on it and get er out.

As soon as I get it home tomorrow I get to learn how to remove its wheels.... it needs new tires something fierce.
    Darkphaux, where are you located? I'm in SF. Happy to swap colors with you if you want

Getting the wheels off can be a bit tricky, esp the front one with its crazy peripheral rotor. The axle needs a special tool like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LXKGSUZ...v_ov_lig_dp_it
    Else a good forum trick is to use the back end of a spark plug wrench socket.

And since you posted such a nice picture - anyone know what is the purpose of that cut out hole in the grey metal piece behind the flyscreen? Was it designed for water drainage, though the bottom lip is open anyways...

Those holes access the T27 bolts on either side for the upper headlight mount. Loosen to adjust the headlight (and the single bracket below)

Hmm Battery. Use a minimum a 220CCA battery. The cheap Walmart ones are 200CCA and won't have enough Oomph. Deka is a good brand for a standard GEL battery made in Pennsylvania right next door to our own LunaticFringe. Make SURE the terminals are not reversed on the battery you get. I have had great luck with a Li-Ion battery in my STT if you can bear the expense.
    Heres a pic of LF filling the Acid in the DEKA battery factory:
    Unknown.jpeg

Tires: Ya depends on how you ride. I LOVE the Q3+ for aggressive and track riding on dry clean roads.
    I put Pilot Road 5's on the STT that have about 5k miles on them and still look perfect! I can confidently burn the edges down on those as well because of the soft compound sides and hard compound middle. They are aslo great in the rain.
    I have a set of TKC-80's (90-10 tire) for fireroading, but you sacrifice so much street ability with them, I'll go with Anakee's next. More of a 70-30 tire IMO.

Buells have a few niggles you'll learn about, like the Buell-bump (TM), but cold starts shouldn't be an issue as long as theres's voltage in the battery. The B-Rule is if you start it, RIDE it. The cold-start fuel map is very rich and repeated cold starts will foul the plugs. If it sits over winter, just attach a battery tender on a lamp timer (8 hours a day, thanks Lunatic) and leave it alone until you revive it in the spring. Starting a bike repeatedly over winter is a killer.

Yes, they make noise. Yes, they shake and rattle. Yes, thats normal, uh Character

Oh! Add a T27 to your tool box as well as a 19mm (3/4") male hex for the axles (both should be in the stock tool bag under the seat), and print out the service manual you found at Buellmods.com to peruse little technical details.

An important note that catches rookies up, is that the service manual is WRONG about the oil drain plug torque. It is a plug with an o-ring and needs to be SNUG, NOT the 22FT/lbs(IIRC), but IN/lbs instead. Any 1/2 way fair mechanic would know that, but it's sort of a 'thing'.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast