Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Refinish?

Banned

Refinish?

Can anyone answer the following for me:
    #1) Is it possible to refinish for a body shop to sand & repaint the plastic body panels? Mine are faded & stained.

#2) What EXACTLY (#?) is the frame & swingarm painted with? I realize its black but it's kind of a gray.

Thanks!

yes it is possible to paint plastic. Though the prep work can be a bit exhausting in order to be able to provide you any type of warranty. If I am not mistake the frame and swing arm are powder coated. Others will be by soon if I am wrong.

#1: yes
    #2: dunno

For the body panels print this DuPont Surface Coating Instructions and give to the shop to follow. BadWeatherBikers Forum also has good information.

The plastic color is moulded completely through the part so:

https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...cratch-removal

The frame and swingarm are painted and you can still find the OE color match paint, or have it mixed professionally. Finishmaster can match it and put it in a spray bomb can if you like. Worked really well for Bubbles Blast!

Banned
    Last edited by VtwinXB12; 03-18-2021 at 05:48 PM.

yes. these days many cars have plastics and just about every motorcycle. any automotive paint shop should have no issue painting the plastics for you. what color are you thinking?

Banned
    I fixed the plastics w/ freakin' BRILLO (steel damn wool!) pads & water! Easy as sh#@. Followed it up w/ a $5 can of automotive lacquer and I swear it looks 90% new. Took me about 2hrs total time and went from looking like a worn out, used up, trashed OLD sportbike to a shiny (plastics anyway) almost new appearing BUELL. Can't describe how pleased I am.

Quote Originally Posted by VtwinXB12 View Post
    I fixed the plastics w/ freakin' BRILLO (steel damn wool!) pads & water! Easy as sh#@. Followed it up w/ a $5 can of automotive lacquer and I swear it looks 90% new. Took me about 2hrs total time and went from looking like a worn out, used up, trashed OLD sportbike to a shiny (plastics anyway) almost new appearing BUELL. Can't describe how pleased I am.
    Keep us posted on how long that stays stuck... I'm guessing not long.

Theres a trick with dirt bike plastics using a heat gun. I've never tried it personally, but I bet BB would know, he's been sniffing lacquer for a long time

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast