Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New to forum and to buell ownership

And tightening/torquing the heads quickly without letting the lifters bleed down can bend the pushrods. It's all in the manual you can get for free, in the link I gave you.

Yo cooter.... some times I think you are way to nice. Got a couple of things to throw at you and food for thought..

Harleys and Buell’s are very simple and almost problem free unless you don’t maintain... I.e change fluids or try to modify it with cheap parts or work on it without real mechanical knowledge.

So, let’s talk about this mess of a post...
    I’m sorry to say buddy you put the cart before the horse and honestly fall into a person without the mechanical knowledge...
    Why did you take the heads and cylinders off? Why did you mess with the valves? Xb heads a bullet prof unless you drop something down the intake. They will last longer then the bottom end.. I’ve pulled Buell head off and done leak down tests on them with 80-90,000 miles and they still pass.

Now let’s talk all the problems with what you have done and what to kinda check over..
    first get ecm spy and a cable check codes then do simple prime test to check that to see if the pump works, injectior etc.
    Then spray carb cleaner to see if the on the motor to see if the rpms change.
    Then go down the list.
    intake leak
    Valve leaking
    Head gasket
    TPS reset
    Fuel pump
    Injectors seals
    Cam position sensor
    Throttle body leaking
    Timing
    As a starting point.
    But, not to sound bad you should probably get rid of the bike. Parts and real know how about Buell’s are starting to disappear and it might cost you more in time and money to fix what you have done then it would be to buy another bike.

Incorrect pushrod placement during assembly....possible hydraulic lifter damage.

EXHAUST pushrod length is 10.780 inches. Identified via PINK STRIPE.
    INTAKE pushrod length is 10.726 inches. Identified via ORANGE STRIPE.
    FRONTS AND REARS INTERCHANGE

You mean well Sir, but got in over your head. Suggestion: Have someone locally who's familiar with the XL Sportster line, give you an hour or 2 of their time. Then do this:
    1-Check your work.
    2-Take a simple compression test at room temp and WOT. Will help reveal basic engine health.
    3-Check ignition timing...wiring installation....ECM stored fault codes...fuel pump pressure.
    The basics.

Quote Originally Posted by squidbuellie View Post
    Yo cooter.... some times I think you are way to nice.
    Oh, shut up...

lol Great post Squid and he should print it out and use it for a check list... Or sell it. I think he might have some skills but, I can't decipher what the heck he's saying? Just answer the questions!!

Barrett also has a great post about a compression check. As a mechanic, you should know that (even not a motorcycle one...) a 4 cycle engine works the same. A compression check will answer the pushrod, cam, valve questions right away.

lol I am not a mechanic...i will check the basics as Barrett recommends...the pushrods never had any stripes as far as i saw. anyways, Thank you again. Cooter what question did I not answer? All I'm trying to do is give everything I know on the bike so I can get to the root of its issues and make it run great. I don't know all the lingo and so I might confuse you i guess. Anyway, I appreciate all of your feedback and everyones elses as well. it wont take to long and then ill have learned enough to talk to where you can understand what im saying LOL

I appreciate your advice squid and ill go down the list but im not getting rid of the bike and if it costs me then so be it I love the bike and by the time im done ill know everything there is about. Plus, I dont think I messed it up to bad. I mean, For the most part its running Great! It just periodically decidesz not to so until i fifure that out im staying off itbut get rid of it? not happening lol thanks squid I will be getting started on your list this weekend. your feedback is greatly appreciate

Quote Originally Posted by jdub84
    lol I am not a mechanic...
    Quote Originally Posted by jdub84
    I did a complete top end gasket and o-ring replacement lapped the valves and put it back together.
    I dont know if I should be impressed or scared.

I used to be impressed, now I'm scared.

OP, I asked you:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Why lap the valves?!
    Were they leaking?
    Is that all you did?
    No rings?
    I mean it's in you lap right?
    So was the engine out? (Yes or no, please)

i lapped the valves because when i pulled top end apart to replace all the o rings and gaskets, i noticed they didnt look very good (a lot of carbon build up). When I cleaned them they were pitted a bit so I went online watched some videos asked some others for advice and thats what was advised. idid not do the rings because the cylinders looked really good so when i pulled the top ends, (the jugs I guess is what theyre called) I also pulled the wrist pin clip and pin and left the pistons in the cylinders. on a positive not, I just puulled the rocker boxes or assemblies and checked to see if i had installed the pushrods correctly and i did. so no damage there. So, all i did was replace gaskets and orings in the top end, lapped the valves and cleaned everything up a bit and re assembled everything.

I dont know what u mean by "was the engine out?" arfe u asking if i pulled it or out like not running?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast