Thread: New Oil Does not trigger Error 13

New Oil Does not trigger Error 13

I've been experiencing a persistent issue with my bike, and it's been quite a journey trying to diagnose and fix it. The main problem arises when I ride for around 30 minutes – the bike starts stuttering terribly, but there are no error codes indicating the source of the problem. Determined to resolve this issue, I embarked on a series of troubleshooting steps.

First, I replaced the CPS sensor, TB seals, O2 Bosch sensor, K&N filters, fuel pumps, spark plugs, Battery, and Rectifier. I even added an additional ground wire from the T-lug under the airbox to the battery. Despite all these efforts, the problem persisted.

Eventually, I decided to purchase another ECM (Engine Control Module), and to my relief, the bike seemed to work fine. However, I noticed that during hot weather, a new issue would arise – the check engine light would start blinking, and my bike would refuse to go beyond 70 mph. In the 1st gear, the RPM would not go above 3000 RPM, but as soon as I changed gears, the RPM would increase normally. Only in the 5th gear could I reach speeds of 100 km/h.

To complicate matters further, I have an aftermarket exhaust, so the interactive exhaust feature does not work as intended. Troubleshooting this issue led me to use ECMdroid, where I discovered an error code 13. I found this puzzling since I had recently replaced the O2 sensor, which should have resolved any related issues.

Earlier this month, I performed an oil change, and the bike ran smoothly without any error codes. I even took it on a 100 km ride and encountered no problems, even in traffic. However, this morning, after riding for about an hour, the bike once again started blinking the check engine light, and I couldn't exceed 70 mph. Upon checking the error codes, I found error code 13 again.

Now, I'm truly perplexed. It appears that this issue arises specifically when I haven't changed the oil. Interestingly, when I use fresh oil, the problem seems to be alleviated. However, it's worth noting that the previous oil had only been used for a mere 1000 kilometers, which makes the situation even more puzzling.

I use Mobil 1 20w50 Oil

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or insights you may have regarding this perplexing situation.
    Last edited by samuelseggs; 05-23-2023 at 11:36 AM. Reason: I made error in Oil Type

It going to be a long, costly, and frustrating path to keep throwing guesses at your bike and it will continue to be perplexing until you learn to diagnose it yourself or take it to someone who is an actual mechanic. Sorry buddy. But facts.

Code 13 does NOT mean the O2 sensor is bad. It means the ECM is receiving unexpected signals from somewhere in that circuit. Maybe.

You are using the wrong oil, against the service manuals recommendation.

If you want to repair your bike yourself, start by reading this:
    http://buellmods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    It going to be a long, costly, and frustrating path to keep throwing guesses at your bike and it will continue to be perplexing until you learn to diagnose it yourself or take it to someone who is an actual mechanic. Sorry buddy. But facts.

Code 13 does NOT mean the O2 sensor is bad. It means the ECM is receiving unexpected signals from somewhere in that circuit. Maybe.

You are using the wrong oil, against the service manuals recommendation.

If you want to repair your bike yourself, start by reading this:
    http://buellmods.com
    Thank you Cooter,

We only have less than 5 Buell in my state/country and I own 2. We don't have any mechanics who understands the bike. The other bike got totalled because I trusted a mechanic wth it.

I'm using a Synthetic Oil Mobil 1 20w50, what other oil would you suggest?

Thanks.
    Last edited by samuelseggs; 05-23-2023 at 11:35 AM. Reason: I made error in Oil Type

Thank you for your previous response. I must apologize for the mistake I made in my previous message. I actually use 20w50 Motul Oil for my 09 xb9sx. Unfortunately, my motorcycle sustained damage when I entrusted the task to our local mechanics. I might have to consider using a different brand of oil in the future to avoid such issues. Nonetheless, I truly appreciate your valuable input and your consistent support.

Regarding the compression and cylinder leak-down test, I plan to consult the user manual to familiarize myself with the proper procedures. This way, I can provide accurate guidance to our mechanics on how to conduct these tests correctly.

Thank you once again for your assistance. If there are any further insights or suggestions you can offer, please do not hesitate to share them.

Quote Originally Posted by samuelseggs View Post
    Thank you for your previous response. I must apologize for the mistake I made in my previous message. I actually use 20w50 Motul Oil for my 09 xb9sx. Unfortunately, my motorcycle sustained damage when I entrusted the task to our local mechanics. I might have to consider using a different brand of oil in the future to avoid such issues. Nonetheless, I truly appreciate your valuable input and your consistent support.

Regarding the compression and cylinder leak-down test, I plan to consult the user manual to familiarize myself with the proper procedures. This way, I can provide accurate guidance to our mechanics on how to conduct these tests correctly.

Thank you once again for your assistance. If there are any further insights or suggestions you can offer, please do not hesitate to share them.

Never entrust your Buell to a "mechanic" unless they are knowledgeable and passionate about the brand.

Also, if you need to explain to a "mechanic" on how to down a cylinder leak down test, they are not a mechanic.

There are two tests you need to do, one is a compression test which shows how much pressure the engine is making. The other is a leak down test which shows the engines ability to hold that pressure. There are other things you have to do before each test to be sure they are successful.

I would rate the time for doing these tests at one beer each, possibly three of f it's not outside.

Good luck.
    Last edited by njloco; 05-23-2023 at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by samuelseggs View Post
    Thank you Cooter,
    I'm using a Synthetic Oil Mobil 1 20w50, what other oil would you suggest?

Thanks.
    I replied that because you originally stated you were using 10w-40 before you edited.
    20w-50 is the correct weight oil, should be "V-Twin specific"also.
    I don't believe the manual states anything about being synthetic or not. It's your money, throw it where you want.

Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    There are two tests you need to do, one is a compression test which shows how much pressure the engine is making. The other is a leak down test which shows the engines ability to hold that pressure. There are other things you have to do before each test to be sure they are successful.

I would rate the time for doing these tests at one beer each, possibly three of f it's not outside.
    leakdown
    Good luck.
    Thank you njloco, I just read about this in the manual, Phew i'm looking for the tool to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Never entrust your Buell to a "mechanic" unless they are knowledgeable and passionate about the brand.

Also, if you need to explain to a "mechanic" on how to down a cylinder leak down test, they are not a mechanic.
    Oh well, i had to do most things myself, it's always not easy. I don't want the same mistake happen twice. I still have my xb9sx i use as parts swap.