Thread: Battery Compatability. Just bought new Harley Life Lithium battery.

Battery Compatability. Just bought new Harley Life Lithium battery.

So my old battery died, went to Harley and figured I would give their new lithium battery a shot. Hooked it up to my 07 12s

This thing:
    https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...fe-4ah-battery

I plug it in and the fan runs like mad, and absolutely nothing else. Lights don't turn on, engine lights don't turn on, starter.....nothing. Just the fan blasting hard.

So are the new lithium batteries just not gonna work? I asked the service guy and Harley said that it was compatible with the old battery.

Are you sure you didn't hook in up backwards?

Quote Originally Posted by loose1 View Post
    Are you sure you didn't hook in up backwards?
    Actually yeah it was in backwards. Harley flipped the + - on the new battery. Seeing how it is impossible to connect with the stock cables (the negative doesn't reach at all), will have to do some wiring to get it fit.

I did hook it up correctly though just sitting on top of everything, still nothing though. No lights no nothing.

Check your fuses and relays. They don't like running current backwards through them. Hopefully you didn't fry your ecm.

Quote Originally Posted by loose1 View Post
    Check your fuses and relays. They don't like running current backwards through them. Hopefully you didn't fry your ecm.
    Yep blew a fuse.

Here is a picture incase anyone else searches this and does something dumb like me. I imagine the random flipped +- has blown quite a few fuses already. Since the battery only fits one way I just hooked it up without checking.
    batteries.jpg

While I feel bad for you, yeah^^^^^^^^^^^^^^, most of us that are on this forum for any length of time, learn how to use the search field, if you had bothered to do this or, even ask, you would not be in the situation you now find yourself in. This has been happening far to often lately, I don't get it, maybe someone can explain it ?

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    you either PURCHASED the wrong battery....or were SOLD the wrong battery.

the battery in the pic is the "L" model. I'll also note it is a complete and utter waste of money. you spent approx. $125 more than necessary.

all XB's use an ETX-14.....you have an "L".

once installed correctly....and perhaps you're not capable of doing this....all the fuses and 3 factory relays will need to be checked....along with ground circuit one-way diode.

and the chances are outstanding that you ruined your ecm.

manufactured right up the road from me....best AGM in the world....this is what you should have bought.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Deka-ETX14-...cAAOSwOS1ZyUFj

good luck.
    I handed the Harley service my old battery, and they handed me this one as a replacement/upgrade. I'm interested in lithium tech, so this seemed like a cool thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Blastamon View Post
    Yep blew a fuse.

Here is a picture incase anyone else searches this and does something dumb like me. I imagine the random flipped +- has blown quite a few fuses already. Since the battery only fits one way I just hooked it up without checking.
    batteries.jpg
    Sucks this happend, see if the service guy will change it out for you. Try to ignore retarded, know it all comments. THere are some on here that will help with out trying to show off their ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Blastamon View Post
    Actually yeah it was in backwards. Harley flipped the + - on the new battery. Seeing how it is impossible to connect with the stock cables (the negative doesn't reach at all), will have to do some wiring to get it fit.

I did hook it up correctly though just sitting on top of everything, still nothing though. No lights no nothing.

If I remember correctly, the 1125's use a 14L-BS and the XB's use a 14-BS. When I was digging into my new toy last night, I did notice that the cables on it appeared to be reversed from the XB. If I'm not mistaken, the L is what designates the position of the positive terminal. The tech may have not realized that all Buells arent the same, and may have figured if it fits a Buell 1125, it should fit an XB. I believe my 2016 Sportster uses a 14L battery as well. Or the parts book may have been wrong.

Sorry to hear this happened.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 06-04-2019 at 10:54 PM.

New here.. New to Buell XB12X. About to find time to finish install of new fuel pump assembly purchased from lunaticfringe.. He's gone above and beyond with his knowledge and assistance. Saved me $50.00 too. He's got a customer for life. I recommend his knowledge and value when making a parts purchase. I've been K Bike guy for the last 20 years and have been fasinated by this Buell. Finally have one. I like the honest words lunaticfrunge applies to situations where we ought check out limitations first. Saved me from heartache of mistakes easily made with too much confidence. IMO... Good to be here. I'll post pictures of this first project soon when I'm clear of chores.