Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New to Buell, New to forum.

New to Buell, New to forum.

Somebody please tell me if I should think twice. I want to buy an xb12scg but dont know of anybody in my area (Winston salem, NC) that can work on the techinical things. You know computer and sensor problems. Any advice?

My advise, don't buy into a defunct motorcycle brand with essentially no dealer support if you can't work on it yourself. Even if there are people close to you than can work on them, nothing says they will still be around when you need them.

That being said, Buell's XB line of bikes are really pretty basic machines to work on, albeit a little quirky in how you have to approach certain tasks. Nothing a service manual and 5th grade reading comprehension can't figure out though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitcherman View Post
    My advise, don't buy into a defunct motorcycle brand with essentially no dealer support if you can't work on it yourself. Even if there are people close to you than can work on them, nothing says they will still be around when you need them.

That being said, Buell's XB line of bikes are really pretty basic machines to work on, albeit a little quirky in how you have to approach certain tasks. Nothing a service manual and 5th grade reading comprehension can't figure out though.

BOOM! Pitcherman for the win!

Probably the best advice this forum ever offered.

Its nothing personal, and its not like we dont want you in the Buell club, just trying to save you from a economic pitfall.

I like you pitcherman. Really. You see, I'm an auto tech by trade. And as such, I fix everything. From the plumbing in the house to fabricating exhaust and rejetting the carbs on my brothers magna. I only ask - humbly - because I want to do things right. So again, what can be done as far as reading sensor data from the ecm if Harley says they don't do Buells? ? ?

Also, it's an 05 with no known issues. And has 10k miles

Welcome, buy it you won't regret it. They're easy to work on and any big problems that come up, the forum is a wealth of information.

Good luck.

P.S. you should be informed that some of us are experiencing fuel pump failure but one of the members here named Barrett has rebuild kits available at a very reasonable price.
    Last edited by njloco; 01-11-2022 at 04:06 AM.

RTFM, Buellmods.com
    ECMDroid and a Bluetooth dongle (I like my Buelltooth(TM)) for ECM data. Its a great diagnostic tool, will do fuel map changes and it's free! TunerPro or ECMSpy for building maps from scratch if you add a turbo or cubic inches, or digging way deeper in the ECM. But seriously, if it runs well, don't **** with it. Don't.

If you're an auto tech thats worth a ****, you'll be just fine 50 year old engine architecture and a rudimentary FI system. Get a hammer and some twine and you can fix 90% if it. No chain, no cooling system, no valve adjustments, parts are still cheap and easy to find with some rare exceptions, sensors weren't made by Buell so you can find replacements out of brand (mostly Ford). Don't look for trouble.

Remember it is a 16 year old machine. The in-tank pump and lines are probably pretty corroded by now, avoid cheap e-bay junk, Barrett on here is a great source for OE parts like that. Don't overthink it. Replace fluids with factory recommended ones (no grandpa fixes), wheel bearings fail rarely but without warning, new ones are cheap, clean electrical connections, especially the grounds, make sure its a nice quality (220CCA) battery, and maybe a new belt if it's UV degraded. Run it hard, fix things that break, don't look for trouble.

Have fun, post pics

Quote Originally Posted by chuckmcg View Post
    I like you pitcherman. Really. You see, I'm an auto tech by trade. And as such, I fix everything. From the plumbing in the house to fabricating exhaust and rejetting the carbs on my brothers magna. I only ask - humbly - because I want to do things right. So again, what can be done as far as reading sensor data from the ecm if Harley says they don't do Buells? ? ?
    Cooter sums it up pretty well bellow. The ECM and FI systems is extremely basic. If you can trouble shoot a TBI chevy, you can handle the XB's ECU.

Also, it's an 05 with no known issues. And has 10k miles
    I just picked up a similar deal this past summer. Keep in mind that bike is old enough to have its own driver's license. Depending on how its been stored and maintained things like gaskets and hoses may need a good looking over. The bike I picked up was kept in a climate controlled garage and even still it didn't take long for the 17 year old intake seals to develop a leak.

Thank you. Thats what I was looking for. I do believe I will be picking it up next week. $4500 is a good price, right?

Thank you. Thats what I was looking for. I do believe I will be picking it up next week. $4500 is a good price, right?
    $4500 is a good price for a non dropped (even lightly) stock, well taken care of and maintained example with good tires and no weird issues.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast