Thread: 09 XB12R sputter/ choppy under throttle

09 XB12R sputter/ choppy under throttle

So I spent 7 hours today replacing my TB seals ( blue james), VR, plug wires, and new battery. I also cleaned the TB as it has oily buildup from the crank case hoses. So I went ahead and did the breather re-route while I was there. Also cleaned the dog bone ground, battery neg ground, and put new terminals on the grounds under the front fairing. Did a TPS reset and fired it up. Idles good but soon as throttle is applied it chokes and sputters. I have ECMSPYcable but currently laptop is not available. Is there anything that specifically causes these symptoms?

Your plugs are probably fouled out from revving the bike while it sits idle. XBs don’t like being revved without an actual load on the engine.
    Since your bike is an 09 I believe it has a plug cleaning function programmed into the ECM. Go to www.buellmods.com and download a service manual, if you don’t already have one, and try cleaning the plugs. If that doesn’t work actually pull them and see what they look like.
    I know my bike, an 07 XB12r, does not like being revved while sitting still. I fouled a set of plugs early on and learned to refrain from ham fisted throttle blipping while bike is sitting still.

New plugs and checking plug wires was gonna be my first choice . Its not common practice of mine to rev the bike while idling. It was for video purposes only. Is there any chance the gaskets didn't go on properly? If like to say I'm pretty mechanically able, but this was the first time tearing into the bike. Looking with a flashlight it seems they've seated between the flanges and the head

If your second guessing your work, this will make it easy to double check it..

https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...or-under-15-00

Why did you change them in the first place? Was the bike running perfectly before? Or is this the same problem that made you swap all that stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    If your second guessing your work, this will make it easy to double check it..

https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...or-under-15-00

Update...... Topped of the almost empty tank, changed the plugs, cleared the stored codes, and TPS reset... runs A LOT better than when I first got it. Still unsure on the plugs though, my local dealer only had the DCPR8E's so I resorted to using those.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by 1stoutxb View Post
    Update...... Topped of the almost empty tank, changed the plugs, cleared the stored codes, and TPS reset... runs A LOT better than when I first got it. Still unsure on the plugs though, my local dealer only had the DCPR8E's so I resorted to using those.
    NGK DCPR8EIX is stock heat range iridium replacement plug.
    NGK DCPR9EIX is ONE heat range colder iridium replacement plug.
    either choice will "wake it up" and typically yields a smoother idle, though it's subtle.

a dedicated ground wire from the rear coil hold-down bolt to the negative battery cable frame end helps the 08-10 XB's...particularly the 1203cc models.

if it's been exposed to sh*t fuel...or repeatedly been run with very low fuel quantity....or simply never serviced...chances are great that the pump needs pulled and serviced.

Last edited by user_deleted; 06-06-2019 at 09:44 AM.