Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ugh - new oil leak

Just a couple of quick updates :-) I never like threads that end without full resolve... Nothing like reading about the exact same issue your bike is having only to find the tread is 5 years old and no resolution... Did the dude just sell his bike???

That never happens hear because we all have the same problems, over and over and over again. My number one problem is I can't stop buying buells :-)

The swapped push rods may not have presenting them selves as an obvious problem but I can say with 100% certainty, the bike runs much more efficient with the push rods in the right spots. I have read countless threads about 50MPG and I have always gotten around 40mpg to 45mpg, never 50. On my last trip my low fuel indicator hardly went on! I was easily getting 50mpg touring. The bike also had a pronounced stumble around 3500rpm. I assumed a good fuel map would fix that. NOPE! the push rods again. The stumble is gone. Proof that a fuel map can not overcome a mechanical problem.

Now for the bad news! WHEEL BEARINGS!!! About 700kms into my 4000kms trip my bike started to click when I pulled into a camp site for the night! Yep. Wheel Bearings! I had about 20,000 Miles or 30,000 Kms on the last set of SKF bearings. I didn't check them before my trip. A 14hour bus ride home and two days later I was changing my wheel bearings in a parking lot in Sault Ste. Marie.

9GCJx2YwSxSlE8Cwz2PsSg.jpg
    BieaKvWwTzmb1ABJ0AEt9Q.jpg

Yes my trip was cut short. I did trailer the bike home after going for a couple of good runs after replacing the wheel bearings. I could have taken the bike to a local dealer but most bike shops are closed on Mondays and this was Saturday night. Either way my bike was not going to be ready till Tuesday evening. Next year I'll try to go around Superior again, my schedule was tight as it was, definitely didn't have the two or three days needed to deal with the wheel bearing issue.

The belt tension issue, I'm a little confused about your statement. I have read a few posts about drilling out the bolt holes of the stock tensioner. Are you referring to modifying the stock pulley assembly or is there a different fix? I believe the XR1200 has an adjustable axle, unlike our fixed axle. I'm considering drilling out the tensioner, but in the mean time I'm getting lots of use out of my blind-hole bearing puller.

Wouldnt it be enough to just file down the bottom hole?

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    XR1200's run a factory fixed tensioner along with an adjustable rear axle.
    I'm pretty sure John owns one or two XR1200's, I'd stick to this^^^^^^^

All you have to do is elongate one hole a little.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12