Thread: Power blip while turning right -125CR

Unhappy Power blip while turning right -125CR

So I don’t really know what’s going on. Let’s say the my 1125CR is up and running. If I turn the wheel hard right and bring it back to zero, the engine shuts off somewhere half way between coming back to zero. The electrical seems to dip enough to kill the engine, but not the power. Meaning the headlights stay on. I can do this with the engine off as well. It’s been pretty nerve racking while I’m on the road. When I’m at a stop light and make room for another bike to squeeze in, if I turn right, then the same thing happens. All of this only happens when I turn the wheel to the right and back to zero position. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by 13_Pieces View Post
    So I don’t really know what’s going on. Let’s say the my 1125CR is up and running. If I turn the wheel hard right and bring it back to zero, the engine shuts off somewhere half way between coming back to zero. The electrical seems to dip enough to kill the engine, but not the power. Meaning the headlights stay on. I can do this with the engine off as well. It’s been pretty nerve racking while I’m on the road. When I’m at a stop light and make room for another bike to squeeze in, if I turn right, then the same thing happens. All of this only happens when I turn the wheel to the right and back to zero position. Any ideas?
    Check your harness around the steering head. You probably have a damaged wire somewhere. You'll likely need to remove the flyscreen and other parts around that area to thoroughly inspect the harness.

Inactive
    it's a simple diagnostic procedure but the "fix" will be challenging. if you don't have the time and patience seek out a pro. also your description of the precise problem is vague and leaves alot to be desired. when "you do this with the engine off as well" what exactly happens????? that is THE key to your ailment.
    1-you mentioned "i can do this with the engine off as well" which eliminates the ecm and battery cables as the culprits.
    2-your problem is either an electrical short or loose connection fore of the motor. here's the procedure: access battery...attach a quality 6 amp or stronger charger to battery. using whatever is available place a small block of wood under side-stand...then lift front wheel a few inches off ground using muffler as jacking point.
    3-turn on charger...ignition switch to ON....kill switch to OFF...steering dead straight. now slowly turn steering full left lock then to center then to full right lock. watch closely to see what happens. repeat. NOTHING??? the problem is in your kill switch
    4-repeat #3 above but with kill switch to now ON. does the problem NOW appear??? then the fault lies somewhere between the left and right handlebar switch gear assemblies and the main wiring harness in and around or behind the steering head.
    5-if you NOW have the bike in a position where you can repeatedly and quickly replicate the problem then you've found it. does this make sense? you've found either a short...a bare wire shorting to ground...a torn connection...a broken wire. simply start wiggling each small wiring loom by hand and there's your problem.
    6-i've never owned or worked on an 1125 because i don't like them so i don't know where the front ground wire cluster is. but there must be one somewhere. find it and inspect closely before you rip into any wiring. that may very well be where the problem lies and a simple fix.
    NOTE: if the bike has had some amateur clueless butcher dicking around with the handlebars...the controls...or adding heated grips with no prior experience then it's a crap-shoot as to what might be wrong or where to look.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 02-01-2019 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    it's a simple diagnostic procedure but the "fix" will be challenging. if you don't have the time and patience seek out a pro. also your description of the precise problem is vague and leaves alot to be desired. when "you do this with the engine off as well" what exactly happens????? that is THE key to your ailment.
    1-you mentioned "i can do this with the engine off as well" which eliminates the ecm and battery cables as the culprits.
    2-your problem is either an electrical short or loose connection fore of the motor. here's the procedure: access battery...attach a quality 6 amp or stronger charger to battery. using whatever is available place a small block of wood under side-stand...then lift front wheel a few inches off ground using muffler as jacking point.
    3-turn on charger...ignition switch to ON....kill switch to OFF...steering dead straight. now slowly turn steering full left lock then to center then to full right lock. watch closely to see what happens. repeat. NOTHING??? the problem is in your kill switch
    4-repeat #3 above but with kill switch to now ON. does the problem NOW appear??? then the fault lies somewhere between the left and right handlebar switch gear assemblies and the main wiring harness in and around or behind the steering head.
    5-if you NOW have the bike in a position where you can repeatedly and quickly replicate the problem then you've found it. does this make sense? you've found either a short...a bare wire shorting to ground...a torn connection...a broken wire. simply start wiggling each small wiring loom by hand and there's your problem.
    6-i've never owned or worked on an 1125 because i don't like them so i don't know where the front ground wire cluster is. but there must be one somewhere. find it and inspect closely before you rip into any wiring. that may very well be where the problem lies and a simple fix.
    NOTE: if the bike has had some amateur clueless butcher dicking around with the handlebars...the controls...or adding heated grips with no prior experience then it's a crap-shoot as to what might be wrong or where to look.

Never doubt lunaticfringe the wise. If anything, print out his instructions and follow them to the "T" even though they may seem redundant or unnecessary. He doesnt just copy and paste these responses, but lovingly and thoughtfully crafts each one tailored to you.

John - you should get a 1125CR sometime. They are very cool and its interesting to see where the XB platform was going.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 02-01-2019 at 02:14 PM.

Inactive
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    aaron: thanks for the kind words and yes that's precisely what i've done thru all these years. i read a problem posted up on here...think about when i experienced the same thing....what the cause and solution typically was...and respond in kind.
    in all honesty i've never had any desire whatsoever to buy either an 1125 or EBR. my attraction to XB's has always been the sportster similarities particularly the engine characteristics and the exhaust note. plus my days of stock-piling XB's has come to a close. the four that i own including my "0 mile" never-dealer-prepped 2008 XB12 Black Lightning edition satisfy my buell lust. flip side of that coin is that my new addiction is XR1200's. i've got emotional problems but could care less. LOL
    002.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    i've got emotional problems but could care less. LOL
    And we love you nonetheless...

One day, I am making you buy me lunch at the Shady Maple and a tour of your garage. You have some mighty fine and lust worthy steeds.

You, you have emotional problems, really ? Well. I guess we'll just have to learn to live with them besides, your totally normal in comparison to Tbag, though really, I don't think that comparison can be made !