Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Buell XB9SX Diagnostic Trouble Codes 18 & 57 Help Please!

2010 Buell XB9SX Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) 18 & 57 Help Please!

Hello all,

My 2010 Buell XB9SX check engine light came on three weeks after I got it from the previous (1st) owner. I ran the diagnostic mode by jumping pins 1 & 2 on the diagnostic plug. The codes that came back were 18 and 57.

I could not find any reference to either code in the Buell: 2010 Owner Manual, 2010 Service Handbook, or 2008 Electrical Diagnostic manual (Looked for the 2010 version but 2008 was the only .pdf I could find online that was not a trojan horse for Adware).

So then I did some google searches and only found one post on Bad Weather Bikes were a member got a DTC 57 (see link below) but there was no root cause or resolution. So i continued to search and found references to both codes listed in the CMI Lite's user manual (ECM Scanner / interface from IDS). Here is what it lists:

DTC 18 - Condition: Learned Fuel Cylinder Difference too large Typical Cause: Cylinder wear, fuel injector, or oxygen sensor issues
    DTC 57 - Condition: Unable to maintain Fuel Pressure Control Typical Cause: Out of fuel, fuel pump failure, or fuel pressure sensor failure

So has anyone else had any of this conditions or causes listed above and can share their experience?

The bike has 28k miles so worse case scenario is I have cylinder wear. The best case scenario is a bad O2 sensor or the previous owner used bad gas and the fuel system is gummed up. The bike is running fine idles a little rough some times. Does anyone have any thoughts on trouble shooting these issues?

Thanks in advance to anyone with some info,

MrHamNeggs

Reference Links:

IDS CMI Lite User manual (DTC Table near the bottom, scroll down):
    HTML version: http://idspd.com/200124_a.htm
    .PDF version: http://idspd.com/200124_a.pdf

Bad Weather Bikers Forum DTC 57 Reference:
    http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buel...tml?1435743709
    Last edited by MrHamNeggs; 11-15-2015 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Correcting the Title

tja, bei benutzung einer ordentlichen software wären statt nichtssagender dtc schon aussagekräftige fehlermeldungen bekannt.
    aber jedem das seine. wer zeit lieber verschwendet statt sinnvoll nutzt ...

Quote Originally Posted by ich View Post
    tja, bei benutzung einer ordentlichen software wären statt nichtssagender dtc schon aussagekräftige fehlermeldungen bekannt.
    aber jedem das seine. wer zeit lieber verschwendet statt sinnvoll nutzt ...
    Google Translated: "Well, when using an ordinary software were instead known meaningless DTC already meaningful error messages.
    but to each his own. who wasted time rather instead makes effective use of ..."

But software is not my problem, it appears to be related to the fuel system as both codes have a component relating to the fuel system.

tja, das ist halt das problem, wenn man keine verfickte ahnung hat, worum es geht.
    hinter dem verfickten dtc 57 verbergen sich 3 verfickte fehlermeldunge: a) regelkreis funtkioniert nicht b) sensor fehler/ immer low c) sensor fehler /immer high.
    doch anstelle eine hardware zu bauen, die was taugt und den fehler zeigt, sind diese christlichen hühnerficker nur in der lage, etwas zu verkaufen, was den gleichen verfickten scheiss anzeigt, wie die verfickte fehlerlampe.
    deren glück, dass es kunden gibt, die noch dümmer sind und ihre scheisse kaufen, obwohl sie für umsonst eine gut funktionierende software bekommen hätten, die solche fehler im klartext anzeigt.
    wie blöd muss man eigentlich sein?

Quote Originally Posted by ich View Post
    tja, das ist halt das problem, wenn man keine verfickte ahnung hat, worum es geht.
    hinter dem verfickten dtc 57 verbergen sich 3 verfickte fehlermeldunge: a) regelkreis funtkioniert nicht b) sensor fehler/ immer low c) sensor fehler /immer high.
    doch anstelle eine hardware zu bauen, die was taugt und den fehler zeigt, sind diese christlichen hühnerficker nur in der lage, etwas zu verkaufen, was den gleichen verfickten scheiss anzeigt, wie die verfickte fehlerlampe.
    deren glück, dass es kunden gibt, die noch dümmer sind und ihre scheisse kaufen, obwohl sie für umsonst eine gut funktionierende software bekommen hätten, die solche fehler im klartext anzeigt.
    wie blöd muss man eigentlich sein?
    Your right I do not know what is behind DTC 57, which is why I'm asking the question. Kinda the point of this forum.

So apparently your very passionate about the software and that's great, good for you. You also have some strong views about Buells and the people who buy them.

But none of this is helping resolve the issue. Why bother post, what are you getting out of this?

A better question is why am I wasting time responding to your negative rubbish.

Inactive
    unfortunately i don't have the solution to your CEL situation but continue to wonder why the moderators allow this POS ich to continue posting german jibberish on this otherwise nicely maintained site. clearly the "powers that be" could care less but what i find so incredibly annoying and frustrating about his bull**** is that you have to activate an online translator...copy and paste his post...then find that when translated it is typically some incoherent epitaph denegrating the board member looking for help and offering no viable assistance whatsoever. why this is allowed to continue is baffling.

So, I have been all over the various boards reading posts related to Buell fuel issues. I am convinced that these DTCs are due to bad gas clogging up the fuel system (Pump, Rail, and injectors). So my plan of attack is as follows:
    1. Drain the fuel tank. I did this last night using a hand transfer pump from Harbor Freight.
    2. Fill with 93 octane real gas (AKA marine grade / no ethanol) and twice the recommended ratio for Seafoam.
    3. Ride, Ride, Ride, till empty.
    4. Then fill up real gas and injector cleaner and repeat step 3.
    5. If steps 1 through 4 fail then pull the injectors, clean them, reinstall and then repeat step 3.
    6. If step 5 does not work then I will be buying new fuel components and replacing everything.

Let me know if I missed anything.

Does your fuel pump prime normally? Does it sound normal?
    It's been more common for Buellers(XB) to have more issues with the actual fuel pump than the injectors. Usually replacing the fuelpump screen and filter helps flow issues.
    Look up fuelpump rebuild/trouble shooting threads. Just an idea

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by MrHamNeggs View Post
    So, I have been all over the various boards reading posts related to Buell fuel issues. I am convinced that these DTCs are due to bad gas clogging up the fuel system (Pump, Rail, and injectors). So my plan of attack is as follows:
    1. Drain the fuel tank. I did this last night using a hand transfer pump from Harbor Freight.
    2. Fill with 93 octane real gas (AKA marine grade / no ethanol) and twice the recommended ratio for Seafoam.
    3. Ride, Ride, Ride, till empty.
    4. Then fill up real gas and injector cleaner and repeat step 3.
    5. If steps 1 through 4 fail then pull the injectors, clean them, reinstall and then repeat step 3.
    6. If step 5 does not work then I will be buying new fuel components and replacing everything.

Let me know if I missed anything.
    why step #1? there is a drain plug designed specifically for this purpose at the pump housing location.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicknstripn View Post
    Does your fuel pump prime normally? Does it sound normal?
    It's been more common for Buellers(XB) to have more issues with the actual fuel pump than the injectors. Usually replacing the fuelpump screen and filter helps flow issues.
    Look up fuelpump rebuild/trouble shooting threads. Just an idea
    Chickenstripn, thanks for the info, I have not seen any threads on the Pump / Screen / Filter vs. the injectors. But this is a good lead, I will keep this in mind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast