Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Little Knock in Triple Clamp - I think

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by pdksh View Post
    thanks for the reply John

I will do a fork oil change, cheap and easy enough. I do have a local suspension guy that I will have inspect the forks if the fork oil flush/change doesn't work. It's not leaking any fork fluid so I haven't messed with the forks.

How would you recommend locking up the primary drive of an XB/Tubber - EVO motor? Lots of people use the brass hinge trick. Some actually buy the "tool" (4" soft metal plate) and I have seen a plastic stair case looking thing that just scares me.

I have used the leather belt (doubled over it self) suck in the bottom of one sprocket and the top of the second sprocket, between the teeth and primary chain. It causes the primary chain to pull equally to the top and bottom of both sprockets. It takes a quarter turn to remove the slack in the belt and chain. I always double check that the belt, when taunt so it does not interfere with the shiftier linkage.

I'm not disagreeing with you, Just want to make sure I'm doing it right. I'd rather buy the right tool and use the right technique over the BIG HAMMER approach.
    thanks for the reply John
    yes sir my pleasure.

I have seen a plastic stair case looking thing that just scares me.
    that thing is garbage and most knowledgeable outfits have stopped selling it.
    Jim's tool #5520 or make your own out of a piece of delrin which is cheap and readily available.
    the "brass hinge trick" works but better left to an emergency roadside repair in the parking lot of a hardware store.

Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    Besides, I like stale Pop-Tarts !
    Just gotta slap a big slab of REAL butter on that puppy and pop er in the microwave for a few seconds! Bam good as new! Or better?!

Hey John, I received the boots today, I was very disappointed, I double checked in the box and, no stale Pop-Tarts ?

Screw your F$&K-Tarts! My bike is in serious distress and all you can talk about is a food product not fit to use as an insulated tile for an out house! Focus people! Focus!

— thread officially Hi-Jacked —

Your bike is not in serious distress, you can still ride it !
    The thread has not been hijacked.
    O.k., so changing out the fork oil wasn't the problem, have you performed all recommendations suggested so far and, they are waiting for the results ?

I was having fun :-)

Never, and I mean NEVER take anything I say serious, especially if it regards motorcycles. Motorcycle and rider are doing just fine. My friend reminded me to punctuate all text based humor with "LOL" to ensure this sort of miss understanding never happens again.

Thank you for your reply, I will keep the thread updated on my findings. Its not the break rotor or break pads. Pumping the front end with or without applying the front breaks does not influence the sound. I did read a post about front end noise and it being a noisy caliper/rotor combination. I'm going to reset the front fork preload and change/flush the fork oil but I suspect something inside of the forks is worn or in need of adjustment. bike has only 20,000KMS but I suspect the previous owner was as loving has he should have been.

Quote Originally Posted by pdksh View Post
    I was having fun :-)

Never, and I mean NEVER take anything I say serious, especially if it regards motorcycles. Motorcycle and rider are doing just fine. My friend reminded me to punctuate all text based humor with "LOL" to ensure this sort of miss understanding never happens again.

Thank you for your reply, I will keep the thread updated on my findings. Its not the break rotor or break pads. Pumping the front end with or without applying the front breaks does not influence the sound. I did read a post about front end noise and it being a noisy caliper/rotor combination. I'm going to reset the front fork preload and change/flush the fork oil but I suspect something inside of the forks is worn or in need of adjustment. bike has only 20,000KMS but I suspect the previous owner was as loving has he should have been.

Yeah, definitely keep us informed of the outcome. If it’s not the brakes causing it, it could very well be a bushing(s) wearing out in the fork. A bit too much grit in the oil may have accelerated the wear. Luckily they are relatively cheap, and pulling the fork apart without replacing them (unless they are perfect) is a false economy. If you are feeling adventurous, AZMidget did a video where he pulls the forks apart and reassembles them. The hardest part for he is suspending the front of the bike, and sliding the tubes back in the clamps without scratching them. Good luck!

*"Brakes" (sorry, pet peeve). Brakes can break. Breaks are painful or surf able

If you are convinced that the steering neck bearings are good and pre-loaded to spec, you can check the fork cartridges easily by removing the axle and using an allen wrench to make sure the bolts that hold them to the base of the fork tube don't turn.

Brake 'clicks' are easy, if the caliper is tight (99% are way overtightened...) the pads can still shift a bit. The noise is different but can be easily mistaken by the untrained ear. There is a thing called "caliper lube".

Yes BRAKES! I’m going to plead autocorrect as my defence. I’m going to haul the bike to the shop for a safety inspection so I can finally get this bike street legal. So it can sit till Easter!

I’m convinced it’s the forks but I was also convinced it was the steering bearings too! I have read on Dr Google that some bikes just have noisy front ends. I can easily check fluid and preload, but if that doesn’t do it, it’s going to my suspension guy. He actually has done work on Buells on the track. He didn’t run out of the shop with his hands over his ears screaming “I can’t hear you La La La” like most two wheeled shops!

BTW I have a set of perfectly good used steering bearings for sale JK!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast