Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2009 xb12x will start but won't run

Not at all. Can be a 15 min job.

Hang the rear of the bike slightly off the ground with an A-frame ladder using a ratchet strap over the ladder and to the pillion peg mounts.
    remove the lower shock bolt and let the swingarm hang.
    Use masking tape to protect the swingarm paint
    use tin foil to shape a funnel from the tank drain plug (left rear bottom 1/8" pipe plug)
    Use a big enough drain pan! Open the gas tank cap to speed flow.
    Remove the electrical plug and the 4 perimeter bolts.
    A puller helps (PM Chickenstripen) but you can carefully get a sharp flat head in the gap to release the whole end cap.
    The fuel pump is mounted to the cap and you can see the condition of the tank (corroded?), sock (plugged?), low level float (sunk? missing?), and wiring (chaffed?).
    Lunaticfringe offers pump re-build kits or whole new pumps (Test it first)
    The pair of o-rings may be a little swollen to replace the assembly immediately, but if they are in good shape leave them out to dry and they will shrink back to be able to install them with a little o-ring lube, oil, or vaseline.

I am interested in your a assistance. Do I go to eBay or your website? I'd like to attempt removal of the fuel pump/filter unit. I'd guess new orings would be included? Prefer to be ready with the parts before I start.

RJ

For me, probably more like an afternoon. Hoping to get the right parts before I start. I'd guess I might as well replace the Fuel pumps/filter unit that do not seem too expensive if I'm going to do this.

RJ

Have done the test yet , gas in the TB as john & I suggested ? Dont buy stuff unless u really need it , JMO

Here is one of mine that was sleeping for 5 yrs in old gas,

pump3.JPG pump2.JPG
    Last edited by Silverrider; 05-19-2019 at 03:48 PM.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by ROJ View Post
    I am interested in your a assistance. Do I go to eBay or your website? I'd like to attempt removal of the fuel pump/filter unit. I'd guess new orings would be included? Prefer to be ready with the parts before I start.

RJ
    here's the link to see a complete kit. a factory NOS new-in-box pump is about $100 more. pump assemblies can be a bit challenging for a novice to correctly rebuild so you might just want to go with new. contact me and i'll get you fixed up.
    regards, john

https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...-ready-to-ship!

Yes. I tested 3 times. About 8 drops if gas down the throttle body. Idles nicely at about 1200 for 10 seconds then seems to run out of gas. Same thing every time she takes a little fuel from a cup. If I add a little gas while she's running, she still dies. Regarding the fuel pump unit.. Looks like I have to take the rear wheel off too? Because the tire will hit the stock muffler preventing the swing arm from going down fast enough. Right?

RJ

Quote Originally Posted by Silverrider View Post
    Have done the test yet , gas in the TB as john & I suggested ? Dont buy stuff unless u really need it , JMO

Here is one of mine that was sleeping for 5 yrs in old gas,

pump3.JPG pump2.JPG

Yes. I tested 3 times. About 8 drops if gas down the throttle body. Idles nicely at about 1200 for 10 seconds then seems to run out of gas. Same thing every time she takes a little fuel from a cup. If I add a little gas while she's running, she still dies. Regarding the fuel pump unit.. Looks like I have to take the rear wheel off too? Because the tire will hit the stock muffler preventing the swing arm from going down fast enough. Right?

RJ

No , not necessary, Just back out the axle to take the pressure off the belt and it will lower enough.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12