Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Updated IDS ECM mapping for Drummer SS

Updated IDS ECM mapping for Drummer SS

Hi all,

I've spent a good amount of time during the past few years going through my 2009 XB12Ss. I replaced the exhaust header with a new OEM one, installed Drummer SS and matching ECM from IDS. The bike already had a K&N filter and breather reroute (poorly done, so I redid it). New battery, new O2 sensor. Anyhow, the bike was running tip-top this summer. Then, a few weeks ago, it started surging around 3k rpm (it had done that before all my work, but not since then). I did a TPS reset and that seemed to help, but I contacted IDS and asked what they thought. I spoke with Tim and I learned a lot in exchanging emails with him.

According to Tim, the ECM continually adjusts the TPS zero position each time you ride, making small changes as necessary. As long as nothing changes dramatically, like the sensor being replaced or rotated on its mount, the TPS should not need to be reset on a regular basis. He thought that the surging was likely due to an abnormally-low LFuel value (also known as the Adaptive Fuel Value). The ECM adjusts this global fuel correction value as you ride, especially in the cruising region of the map. If this portion of the fuel map is not calibrated exactly right, the LFuel value can drift.

Additionally, I asked Tim about why it seems like getting the fuel mapping right on Buell XB's is particularly challenging as there have been many posts over the years with owners reporting surging issues. He said that surging can be a result of many different issues, some calibration related, others not. He said that the XB12 is based on the Sportster engine but delivers significantly more power...a big reason for this being cam timing and lift. There’s quite a bit of valve overlap, so when the engine is at half its rated speed and very light throttle, cycle-to-cycle combustion repeatability is poor. The folks at IDS have various EFI features and functions to address this inherent instability, but it takes time and experience to get it right.

Finally, Tim told me that they had just finished developing a new mapping specifically for 08-09 XB12 with Drummer SS exhaust due to customers reporting issues. He generously offered to update my mapping free of charge. I sent it in at the beginning of September and got it back within a week. I've been running it since then and so far it is running great with no surging issues. I'll keep you all posted if the surging returns. But, either way, I wanted to give a shout out to Tim and the folks at IDS for their excellent customer service.

So you had the classic stutter/hesitation at low throttle 2-3k rpm region? I’ve spoken with Tim a few times myself, good man.

He is a great guy and always on top of customer service! IMO every muffler system should come with the correct mapping.

So far, so good on the stutter/hesitation. Just to be clear...my ECM did come from IDS with a map for the Drummer SS when I bought it a couple of years ago. But, in the last month they just updated the map for that muffler, which is what I upgraded to.

Well hope it works out for ya. I’ve got the drummer too an love it. I had this issue as well after I tuned a map, it’s a fairly common issue and easy to fix, just need to adjust a about 6-9 fuel cells to smooth the region out.

Tokin

So - anyone want to share the 6-9 fuel cells and the values needed? I love my Drummer SS and K&N/Breather re-route setup. I'm using the latest (this past April) Buelltooth map. Between 2.0-2.5K and 3K, though, it will jerk around a bit at times. Would be nice to smooth that out.

Sent you a PM. Not sure if you have access to ECMspy to adjust the maps or if your comfortable doing so. Basically between tps range 20-40 and rpms 1900-2900 range are the cells. Should be 9 cells. For the rear you want to add 3-5% fuel. Copy those values and paste to the front cylinder. Now with the values pasted up front, you want to add 10-14% to the values you just pasted. . You can’t just add whole points you have to use the tools for multiplying and use this a ratio. You can then taper off cells surrounding if needed to smooth the transition. The 3D map helps visualize this for a better picture if it’s needed.
    I only recommend doing this if your completely comfortable with ECMspy and know what you are doing.

GB posted this a while back and I saved all the info when I tuned mine. I’ll try and find the thread.

Can anyone help on how to get my .xpr file (fetched through ecmdroid) into Tuner Pro RT.

I've spent the better part of an entire evening trying to get this done....I have tuner pro rt up and running and the correct adx and xdf files for the BUE2D firmware. I downloaded the latest xprfuelmap extractor, but it won't do anything (always returns a "xdf file not recognized" error).

Any help?

So I fixed the xpr map extractor issue (won't read the v5 xdf file, so I needed to get another one). But I'm still stumped. Now I can see the cells (in the xpr viewer) and I can create a megasquirt file of my values, but I'm no closer to getting them into tunerpro RT in order to allow tokinbuller to help me.

Do I need to figure out how to pull the map off the bike in another format altogether?

Yeah - laptop isn't going to work - as the bluetooth will not play nice with Tuner Pro (lost 3 hours to that effort tonight).

Anyone got an ECM Spy cable I could borrow for a week or so? Of course, I'd pay postage. I don't want or need a new laptop or tablet at this point, and I'm not going to be a "hard core" tuning guy...just want to let Tokinbuller help me with the 1900 to 2900 RPM range...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast