Thread: So I totaled the xb...

So I totaled the xb...

Out on the road (45mph), small SUV in front of me - I'm riding a safe distance behind. The SUV lightly applies brake, so I pull in the clutch and coast a bit - slowing down slightly but also letting myself get closer to the SUV. I'm expecting it to accelerate, so once it did I would regain that safe distance between us. That was my bad - I was lazy. As I got closer, the SUV slammed on the brakes hard - maybe the car in front of it did too, maybe there was a pothole, etc.? Either way, I was too close, and my reaction time was too long. I slammed on the brakes, and I was going to run into the back of the SUV. I tried turning a bit, aiming to split the lane a bit as I was coming to a stop, but I couldn't make the turn under hard braking - the bike went down.

I don't think the SUV ever saw me, as it just kept going. The car behind me got out and helped me up and helped me get the bike up and off the road into the grass. The shifter was broken, peg broken, mirror broken, windscreen all scraped up, and tank/frame dented. (Before anyone says anything about pucks - I knew the advantages of the pucks, but my bike was a salvage rebuild from an earlier fall before my ownership, and I wasn't interested in preserving a damaged tank. Going puckless was by choice.)

Fortunately by the time I hit the pavement I couldn't have been going more than 20mph. I slid a bit, but not much, and the only thing I can really complain about is my left wrist being a little sore from putting my hand out first when I fell. I always ride with full gear - Helmet, gloves, jacket, boots, kevlar pants - and I'm glad I do.

That was a Thursday night. I called Progressive, and they had an adjuster scheduled to come out to the house Monday morning. The adjuster was very professional, spent about an hour and a half with me and the bike, and then I left for work while she finished all of her paperwork. I got the call that afternoon with my amount for the bike, which was very fair and picked up the check the next day. I spent that previous weekend looking up my options for a replacement bike, so I went right out and went shopping. Had my new bike that Tuesday night.

These are some of my last pics of the xb before getting picked up by the salvage company next to the new bike - a 2014 EBR 1190SX. The Laguna Blue color was a limited run of 50 bikes, and was taken out of the crate about two weeks prior to me looking at it. It had 14.5 miles on it before I bought it.

Not the method I would have chosen to upgrade bikes, but I'm making the most out of it. Time to start all over again with a blank canvas.

If you don't mine me asking, what was the bottom line price on the sx, what about the warranty? Is the insurance high (more than the xb)? my local dealer has a blue one in stock.

you've got to look hard for insurance before hand.......many of the quotes were *shockingly* high

Just glad you're ok, qurtrn10! The damage to you could have been much worse...good on you for always wearing your gear! And, congrats on the new EBR purchase!

Quote Originally Posted by buell248 View Post
    If you don't mine me asking, what was the bottom line price on the sx, what about the warranty? Is the insurance high (more than the xb)? my local dealer has a blue one in stock.
    I got mine for $9k, but my dealer was really wanting to get it off their sales floor to make room for new bikes. Most are selling around $10-$10.5. If you're really interested in a Laguna Blue, I have a listing of all the Lagunas available for sale across the country. I'll post up later tonight when I get home. It might help give you leverage with your local dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by submax View Post
    Just glad you're ok, qurtrn10! The damage to you could have been much worse...good on you for always wearing your gear! And, congrats on the new EBR purchase!
    Thanks, I really can't complain.

Buell248 - here's what I've got:

Laguna Blues for sale:

VIN 108 - Texasmotorsports.com - $11,500
    VIN 109 - Freedom Cycle (Reno, NV)
    VIN 112 - Big Boyz Toyz (NY) - $16,995
    VIN 115 - Hal's HD (WI) - $12,495
    VIN 123 - MCC (IL) - $10,999
    VIN 129 - Dreyer South Motorsports (IN) - $16,999
    VIN 131 - AF1 Racing (TX) - $14,499
    VIN 135 - EuropenCycleSports.com (TX) - $15,995
    VIN 142 - GN Gonzales (Baton Rouge, LA)
    VIN 143 - GN Gonzales (Barton Rouge, LA) - still in crate
    VIN 148 - White's HD - $10,995
    VIN 150 - Rod's Ride On Powersports - $16,995

Hope that helps!

The closest one is at whites, its still $10995

I got at least 4 1190s at a Harley dealership near me .. Seminole Harley florida... they got most of them upstairs still in crates and forgotten.. wonder what they want for them?

Quote Originally Posted by buell248 View Post
    The closest one is at whites, its still $10995
    That looks like a really good asking price. They should have a little room to come down just to get it gone, but know that they are losing money even at their asking price, so don't expect a lot of negotiating room. I can say from making the Buell to EBR transition that the 1190SX is an amazing bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Gloomshadow View Post
    I got at least 4 1190s at a Harley dealership near me .. Seminole Harley florida... they got most of them upstairs still in crates and forgotten.. wonder what they want for them?
    I checked out their website, and they show two RXs for sale (1 red 1 yellow). If you happen across a blue SX, lemme know.