Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Intro Thread, 1st Bike!

Intro Thread, 1st Bike!

Hey guys,

Thought I'd introduce myself. Just got my first bike! (Had a 150cc scooter, but that doesn't count). Monday I'm picking up a Ulysses in orange, which will be my first bike at age 28. This may be my first bike, but I've been a gearhead since I could walk. I currently daily drive a FBO and pully'd B8 Audi S4, and my fun car is a built motor B5 Audi S4. I'm also a design engineer by day, so I think I have a pretty good foundation to start on. I've owned my b5 since it was stock and have done all the work myself including building the motor with forged internals. I didn't think I would ever get the bike bug, but here I am. I'm excited to start turning some wrenches and learn about this platform.
    Here's a pic of it.

33943749278_bb743d6c05_o.jpg

And here's a video of my b5 for anyone interested. I'm an Audi guy, but I can see myself really getting hooked on this platform.

Welcome, sounds like you'll fit right in and have fun. What year Ully is that ?

Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    Welcome, sounds like you'll fit right in and have fun. What year Ully is that ?
    2006 with 20k miles. New tires, accessory bags, and comes with 2 helmets. Has a code for the muffler actuator though. I'm going to do the resistor mod to it, and probably just swap out the can at some point. Something with tone, but not too loud. Am I leaving performance on the table at low rpm by leaving the butterfly valve open all the time? The resister will obviously trick the ECU, but I want to make sure it makes sense to do. It's only 150 bucks for a new actuator. If it's worth replacing, I'll just do that.
    Last edited by CELison; 05-11-2019 at 01:40 AM.

If its all stock and you like it that way, it's worth keeping the valve operational, you'll lose a bunch of mid-range torque (3500-4500) if you just wire it open.

ECMDroid is free on Google play and a good diagnostic tool to have handy, It also can download fuel programs to the ECM

An aftermarket muffler (or Buell Race can) and 'race' tune really wake them up. Buelltooth.com.

Love that Audi! Recently sold my modified S-5 and got a '57 Bel-air because I'm old, haha.

That's right John...tell em. 'Merica.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    you northeast PA guys need to understand that Penn State beenies....sauerkraut cars....rap music blaring away on your vids....driving like maniacs on public roads...won't cut it around here.

Oh boy, the big bad Buell Forum wolf showed up to flex his internet muscles. That was when I was 21. Sauerkraut cars? Lol. Gosh, what a cool, red-blooded guy you must be! The pinnacle of masculinity and patriotism. And I’m sorry a own a hat from the college I attended. But please, if you want to let me know of any more of your grievances, you can just PM me instead of cluttering this thread up. I’d be happy to talk to you about them. If you're in Lancaster, that's only about an hour away. Maybe we can meet in person and discuss over some drinks. PBR of course. Thanks for the warm welcome.

Here's something a little more merican I'm also doing if this tickles your fancy. GM 14 bolt I built with an ARB air locker and chromoly shafts. Also a 4 link from scratch. Trailing arms, links, brackets, ect will all be made from stock. Only thing purchased is the truss.

Edit: disregard the smart ass remarks. Didn’t know you were kidding.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CELison; 05-11-2019 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    If its all stock and you like it that way, it's worth keeping the valve operational, you'll lose a bunch of mid-range torque (3500-4500) if you just wire it open.

ECMDroid is free on Google play and a good diagnostic tool to have handy, It also can download fuel programs to the ECM

An aftermarket muffler (or Buell Race can) and 'race' tune really wake them up. Buelltooth.com.

Love that Audi! Recently sold my modified S-5 and got a '57 Bel-air because I'm old, haha.
    Thanks for the info. I'll do some reading about ECM Droid and it's capabilities. Sounds similar to Nefmoto and ME7 logger that I use for data logging and ECU flashing on my cars. For now, I'm going to keep it stock, so I'll replace the actuator. I want to learn the bike stock, before I start modifying it. I feel like that's the best way to pinpoint areas I want to improve.
    Last edited by CELison; 05-11-2019 at 01:06 PM.

" I want to learn the bike stock, before I start modifying it. I feel like that's the best way to pinpoint areas I want to improve."

That's a good idea. I jumped right in to a muffler and K&N with the revised mapping. I do really like my Uly but sometimes I wish I'd gotten to know it while it was stock. Regarding a different thread - mine has about 40K miles on the clock and is ready to go.

And... I wouldn't be too reactive to the humor here. We get sarcastic and maybe we push some buttons. I am probably too new to say "we" and "us" but I like it here and I love the humor that often comes from left field.

You should hang two turbos off that fu@ker!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob View Post

And... I wouldn't be too reactive to the humor here. We get sarcastic and maybe we push some buttons. I am probably too new to say "we" and "us" but I like it here and I love the humor that often comes from left field.
    Noted. I didn't see it as humor, but a lot can be lost over text. I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning when my girl was bitching at me because I wasn't helping look for her lost shoe...

Last edited by CELison; 05-11-2019 at 05:04 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast