Thread: extreme bog down 99 X1 Lightning.

extreme bog down 99 X1 Lightning.

When I bought this bike it was running on the rear cylinder only. The front fuel injector was completely stopped up. I cleaned them both out. When it's cold, it starts fine, idles fine, revs in neutral fine, and runs down the road not so great. There is a bit of sputtering as you accelerate it in gear. About 5 minutes in as it gets hot it starts running worse. Lots of sputtering, especially if you try to give it more than 4,000 RPMs. But usually, once you get past 5,000 it clears up. If you let it sit for a while but start it back up before it cools down, it runs horribly. Doesn't want to idle. Almost impossible to get it above 4k rpm. When you give it gas it bogs down really bad. Sounds like it's either starving or flooding.

I have replaces the fuel lines and filter. Someone had put "Not for use with fuel injection systems" fuel line on the bike.

Injectors might not be 100%, but they are definitely spraying lots of fuel.

Air Filter is not a factor. Took a short run down my drive with the filter off. Same issues.

I'm going to check the TPS next.

Plugs look OK, but I'll probably change them to be safe.

Any ideas?

If I were to buy new injectors, where is a good source and what part number?

Inactive
    Mr. WallMart: one post for one singular problem is sufficient on here. tripling your posts won't garner any more attention.

you have a failing fuel pump. remove and fully service it with a full rebuild kit or replace it.
    i still have a OEM new-in-box ones in stock or search online if you'd like.
    part # is Buell P0130.KB---suffix U5C(PLUS+)
    list price $362.48
    H-D delisted the part number several years ago. now listed as NLA.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 07-05-2019 at 10:09 PM.

Thanks for the info

I was not aware that I tripled my post?

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    Mr. WallMart: one post for one singular problem is sufficient on here. tripling your posts won't garner any more attention.

you have a failing fuel pump. remove and fully service it with a full rebuild kit or replace it.
    i still have a OEM new-in-box ones in stock or search online if you'd like.
    part # is Buell P0130.KB---suffix U5C(PLUS+)
    list price $362.48
    H-D delisted the part number several years ago. now listed as NLA.

interesting twist.

Rode to work today. Had a little hesitation on the way to work. Later I rode to an appointment 10-mile round trip. Ran fine. At lunch, about 15-mile round trip, it ran fine. On the outer road near my office, I dropped it to second gear and went from 2k to 6k and there was almost no hesitation at all. Here's hoping it was just some clogged injectors that have finally started clearing out.

Mine sat for 7 years. It did the same thing. It took me about a week to get it over 4k. I kept starting it everyday until it cleared out. Now it will rev happily.

I am hoping that it's all fuel injector related and the Seafoam will eventually clean it out 100%.

P.S.

now that it's running better, what amount of heat is normal? My inner thighs are on fire. My brother thought it might be running too lean, but I'm seeing threads on here about high heat. I'm used to air-cooled engines, but this seems really extreme.

Hopefully the injectors were just clogged but my first fuel pump did what yours is doing then eventually failed all together. Not sure about the 99 years but my 05 xb12r blows the heat out of the back of the engine right under your right thigh, which is normal. I think most people are under the assumption that air is blown right on the motor instead it pulls the heat from above the rear head.

Thanks. A fuel pump is next on my to-do list if this problem persists.